G'day from Surfers Paradise

Tell a little about yourself here

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Re: G'day from Surfers Paradise

Postby the|exx » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:32 pm

chrLz wrote:
Stitching images is fun! (sorta).. :D

What's your weapon of choice for stitching chrLz?

btw.. That's a beautiful pic mate!

|exx
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby chrLz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:24 pm

the|exx wrote:
chrLz wrote:Stitching images is fun! (sorta).. :D

What's your weapon of choice for stitching chrLz?
btw.. That's a beautiful pic mate!
|exx

Why, thanks! I'm quite proud of that one technically, if not aesthetically, as some of the joins were *very* difficult (due to parallax errors with the stuff up close, like that handrail) - but I reckon the seams are now effectively invisible. IIRC, there are 9 images in that one, so there are eight, hopefully invisible, joins.. I'd like to revisit it, maybe using HDR to lift the centre area a bit.

In regard to weapon of choice, the short answer is - PTGUI, but it's not cheap. Normally I try to use OpenSource software, but my panoramas seem to trip up other software.. PTGUI is the only one that copes well with huge images, and tricky joins (although I still end up manually patching some areas. It's quite sophisticated, and reasonably complicated, but there are relatively automatic modes.

Second choice would be HUGIN, which is the best Open Source alternative, imo, but I found the interface unfriendly and the results inconsistent at times. Note that I haven't re-evaluated Hugin since about early 2009, so maybe it has caught up with PTGUI...

Third choice, and the best one if all you want is to get started, is AutoStitch. The 'demo' is free and effectively unrestricted. Gives very good results as long as the images aren't too big (it may crash or hang..), does most things automatically - you just point it at the images and it works it out for itself. Trouble is, if it gets it wrong, there isn't really anything you can adjust...
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Access Denied wrote:
chrLz wrote:(note - is it not possible to get scroll bars on images? It's obviously *much* wider than that!)

No sorry, I'll see if there’s a phpBB mod for it.

For now, images scaled to 640 pixels wide work well with the formatting.

Tom pointed me in the right direction for a mod that will do what you guys want, and I'm nothing if not accommodating...

You are now free to upload larger pictures, the mod will resize the image to display it correctly here in the forum, but there is a lightbox effect which will enable you to see the larger image once you click on it.

A bit like this one below (click the image for full size)

Enjoy :)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Arbitrageur » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:15 am

Zep Tepi wrote:You are now free to upload larger pictures, the mod will resize the image to display it correctly here in the forum, but there is a lightbox effect which will enable you to see the larger image once you click on it.

A bit like this one below (click the image for full size)
That pic is totally awesome as is the new mod that does the resizing, thanks for that!

I'm in the habit of resizing pics to 600px wide before posting but sometimes that's not desirable so the automatic resizing will be great!
Arbitrageur

Postby Access Denied » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:41 am

chrLz wrote:For anyone who would like to see the 'real' thing , here ya go:
Note - it's only about a megabyte, but that jpeg is 5000 pixels wide..

Testing the new mod...

(in the quote above I embedded the image you originally linked to)

Took it a little while to load that one.

Hmm, it only scales it to the width of screen (in this case I’m limited to 1024 x 768 by the machine I’m on at the moment) when you click on it. I was wondering how it would handle that.

But still, your pic looks much better larger. :)

I guess this is good compromise. No need to worry about size when embedding images with the IMG tag anymore and pics where size is important (ha ha) should still use a link to the full size image.

chrLz wrote:Stitching images is fun! (sorta).. :D

Nice work. A friend of mine has been experimenting with this technique and getting some amazing results…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

(works especially well on landscapes with clouds and sunsets)

(click to enlarge, full size at the above link)

I need a DSLR… :(
Last edited by Access Denied on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: click again to get original size
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby chrLz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:40 am

Access Denied wrote:But still, your pic looks much better larger. :)

I must modestly agree.. but thanks for the mod, that's cool. So do I just embed the pic normally? On the topic of night city themes, here goes another panorama..
That one's 'only' 1600 pixels wide.. I'm sorely tempted to throw a really big image at it and see if I can break the forum! But I'll try to restrain myself.. grin.. They do take a while to load..

And yes, HDR is one of the hardest techniques to get right - it's incredibly difficult to avoid the 'fake' look, or the halo effect. I'm still working on it... That example is one of the better ones - nice.

If it's any consolation, right now I'm DSLR-less - those pics were taken on a 'prosumer' (Fuji S9500). I'm still teetering on what digital system to buy into. Yes, I still have cameras that use.. 'film', if anyone's heard of it..:). I'm looking very hard at just skipping DSLR's and going straight to EVIL! (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens), like the Sony NEX5...
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby ryguy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Oh that mod is awesome...
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby chrLz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:27 pm

ryguy wrote:Oh that mod is awesome...

The 'mod', or the mod's who installed it? :D I vote both!!

In case folks haven't worked it all out.. It works automatically, just by using the {IMG} function to embed an image as per normal. Then you can click on the image to get a sized-to-fit-your-screen version. But wait there's more - the cooler thing is that while it is at *that* size, you can then click the little magnifying glass *again*, and it gives you the full monty - the full resolution image appears with scroll bars... Coo-ool!

Thanks guys!
chrLz

Postby Access Denied » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:57 am

chrLz wrote:If it's any consolation, right now I'm DSLR-less - those pics were taken on a 'prosumer' (Fuji S9500). I'm still teetering on what digital system to buy into.

I'm waiting for an affordable full frame DSLR from Canon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-frame_digital_SLR

At this rate I may be waiting forever since that’s about all that’s left to separate the men (professional line) from the boys (prosumer line) and justify the “exclusive” pricing… I mean how much more does a little more silicon really cost? ;)

chrLz wrote:Yes, I still have cameras that use.. 'film', if anyone's heard of it..:).

That's why I'm still waiting, I’ve already have a relatively small fortune invested in 35mm lenses and without a full frame sensor my wide angle zoom for example won’t be with the crop factor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

chrLz wrote:I'm looking very hard at just skipping DSLR's and going straight to EVIL! (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens), like the Sony NEX5...

Interesting but I never have been able to get used to the “point around and shoot” method… I still prefer composing my shots through the viewfinder and having my other hand on the lens for stability and adjusting the zoom/focus.

chrLz wrote:But wait there's more - the cooler thing is that while it is at *that* size, you can then click the little magnifying glass *again*, and it gives you the full monty - the full resolution image appears with scroll bars... Coo-ool!

Now why didn’t I notice that? :oops: I went back and edited my post…

Thanks guys!

You’re welcome. Thank you for requesting it…
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby chrLz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:38 am

Access Denied wrote:I'm waiting for an affordable full frame DSLR from Canon...

So have I been waiting, since about 1998 :( . I guess they are 'more affordable' now.. but still too much. As a bit of a non-conformist, I would prefer a Pentax or Minolta (RIP) mount. The Sony is sort of Minolta-related, but I never built up a truly worthwhile collection of lenses, so I don't mind a 'restart'. Thing is, I truly believe the days of the DSLR are numbered. That mirror/shutter design causes so many issues, and adds a pile of mechanical stuff to the camera that is really not required - *if* the camera can match the quality of the viewfinder image... more on that below..

At this rate I may be waiting forever since that’s about all that’s left to separate the men (professional line) from the boys (prosumer line) and justify the “exclusive” pricing… I mean how much more does a little more silicon really cost? ;)

I find it ironic that you can now buy a huge, hi-res LCD tv for almost nothing, yet can they make a cheap small sensor juts a tiny bit bigger? Nah... And the success of APS-C and the increasing push from all the EVIL's isn't helping to beef up demand for full-frame, so I suspect your wish may not be fulfilled.. but I'll keep hoping for you.

That's why I'm still waiting, I’ve already have a relatively small fortune invested in 35mm lenses and without a full frame sensor my wide angle zoom for example won’t be with the crop factor...

That's a killer, especially if you are emotionally attached to any lenses.. Be brave, just sell'em and start again.. :wink:

chrLz wrote:I'm looking very hard at just skipping DSLR's and going straight to EVIL! (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens), like the Sony NEX5...

Interesting but I never have been able to get used to the “point around and shoot” method… I still prefer composing my shots through the viewfinder and having my other hand on the lens for stability and adjusting the zoom/focus.

While I can relate to that wonderful view thru a good optical viewfinder.. I have to say that the latest EVF's are gettiing much closer.. And I also agree about the feel of a good manually driven lens, but such lenses *are* still available for the new breed. Really, once the EVFs get just a little better, I find myself wondering about the future of the DSLR format, what with the kludges required for Live View and video, the flash synch issues (that's a biggie for me), the noise of the shutter, the bulk. Much as I loved my old SLR's, I can let go...

So, at the moment, the NEX (or maybe the Panasonic DMC-GF2 or the Olympus, or..) are all getting *very* very close to my ideal camera requirements. A bit better EVF, and I'm in...! For now, I'll stay prosumering and just occasionally drag out my old Minolta X700 (but just to reminisce over old times)...
chrLz

Postby Slippery Jim » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:20 pm

m0r1arty wrote:
chrLz wrote: (Hmm - Barbarella? :D)

I wasn't going to play the Queen card too early, but since you mentioned it here you can have her adorn your nymph bare wall in this thread.

Night!

-m0r

OW!!!!

OW!!!!

Damnit! Thats both testicles ruined! :evil:
You couldn't find your own arse with two hands, a map and Google!
Slippery Jim
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Previous

Google

Return to New Members