Hi everyone, I see familiar names here! ;)

Tell a little about yourself here

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Hi everyone, I see familiar names here! ;)

Postby Arbitrageur » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:50 am

I recognize some names from another place and I'm sure some will recognize me too.

I came over to check this site out.

So far I like what I see!

Great article on Malmstrom on the site here, that sort of lines up with my views, though it was fun to watch Hastings defend his version of events.

I'm pretty skeptical now but not completely closed minded. I used to believe all kinds of UFO stories before I really started looking into them more deeply. I have training in physics and engineering in addition to business, and lots of analytical work experience in my background. A hobby of mine is to try to use my analytical skills to solve mysteries and puzzles; sometimes we can solve them and and sometimes we can't.

But we all like a good mystery, right?
Arbitrageur

Re: Hi everyone, I see familiar names here! ;)

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:35 am

Hi Arbitrageur.

good to see you here, im quite sure everyone will be glad to see you on this site, you have a great mind, i always liked reading your posts.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby m0r1arty » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:54 am

Hey Arbitrageur!!

I was just thinking of you yesterday as I was passing out my seasons greetings cards to preferred members of another site. Turns out you don't have your public profile comments section open there so no card for you.

Great to see you here and I hope you will make yourself at home. There are some great investigations here and hopefully many more to come - we've got an excellent team, both new and veteran, and like to cut our teeth into matters as well as we can - you'll be a superb addition to our UFO sleuths should you wish to share that vast library of knowledge you have stored in your grey matter.

I'll get the kettle on as I reckon there will be a flood of well wishers popping in here shortly.

Speak soon!

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Access Denied » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:14 am

What Rich said…

Arbitrageur wrote:I have training in physics and engineering in addition to business, and lots of analytical work experience in my background.

That much is self evident from what I’ve seen of your work elsewhere.

Arbitrageur wrote:A hobby of mine is to try to use my analytical skills to solve mysteries and puzzles; sometimes we can solve them and and sometimes we can't.

Welcome to the club and well put. Sometimes I wonder why I haven’t run off into the desert screaming and ripping my clothes off yet… actually, make that everyone who knows me. That’s a good way to explain it...

Arbitrageur wrote:But we all like a good mystery, right?

Indeed, got any good ones?

Tom
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby Arbitrageur » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:26 am

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:Hi Arbitrageur.
good to see you here, im quite sure everyone will be glad to see you on this site, you have a great mind, i always liked reading your posts.
Thanks Rich, good to see you here too, the feeling is mutual!

Sounds like our backgrounds of ex-believers turned more skeptical are similar, I read your intro!
Arbitrageur

Postby Arbitrageur » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:30 am

m0r1arty wrote:Hey Arbitrageur!!

I was just thinking of you yesterday as I was passing out my seasons greetings cards to preferred members of another site. Turns out you don't have your public profile comments section open there so no card for you.

Hi m0r, yes I never turned that on, but thanks for the thought!

So you're in Thailand eh? Nice place!

Thanks for the welcome here, will see more of each other I'm sure!
Arbitrageur

Postby Arbitrageur » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:54 am

Access Denied wrote:
Arbitrageur wrote:But we all like a good mystery, right?

Indeed, got any good ones?

Well I'm not an expert at illusions so when I see one that's obvious to me, I wonder why it's not obvious to other people. So the mystery is, why does anybody think this flying yogi is flying? Isn't the trick overly obvious?
Attachments
Flying_yogi1.jpg
Flying Yogi
Flying_yogi1.jpg (40.72 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
Arbitrageur

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:28 am

well i would say there's a metal plate under the mat/rug with a metal pole welded to it (covered in bamboo) and a metal plate welded on top of the pole which the guy is sat on! thats just my first glance guess (could be wrong) lol.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby chrLz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 am

Arb, it is an absolute DELIGHT to see you here! I was always in awe of your wonderfully level-headed and well-informed posts 'elsewhere'.

I don't quite have that patience.. :P

Arbitrageur wrote:Well I'm not an expert at illusions so when I see one that's obvious to me, I wonder why it's not obvious to other people. So the mystery is, why does anybody think this flying yogi is flying?

Well, I certainly can't spot it - so clearly levitation is real, case closed.... :shock: :D :D :D

I hope you stick around and give this site the benefit of your wisdom - the quantity of posts here may be lower, but .. check out the quality!
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Arbitrageur » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:15 pm

chrLz wrote:Arb, it is an absolute DELIGHT to see you here! I was always in awe of your wonderfully level-headed and well-informed posts 'elsewhere'.
The feeling is mutual my friend! You have a great knack for explaining things in detail and with clarity that make for some of the most convincing arguments I've read!

chrLz wrote:Well, I certainly can't spot it - so clearly levitation is real, case closed.... :shock: :D :D :D
Ha ha, very funny! He does tend to draw a little crowd of puzzled onlookers though!
Arbitrageur

Postby Arbitrageur » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:24 pm

RICH-ENGLAND wrote:well i would say there's a metal plate under the mat/rug with a metal pole welded to it (covered in bamboo) and a metal plate welded on top of the pole which the guy is sat on! thats just my first glance guess (could be wrong) lol.
I've never seen this guy's apparatus so I can't say for sure, but obviously you hit the key point which is the bamboo-covered pole.

I did see the apparatus used by another flying yogi and it was even simpler--no welding. It looked like a very long piece of metal rod that had been bent in the form of a stand on the ground, through the bamboo covered upright, up to a v-shape that the yogi sat on. I think he was actually sitting on the rod which pushed into his skin just enough to hide the fact that he was sitting on something. If you're sitting on a metal plate I think it might be hard to hide the plate which would look like a flat area under your bottom. But sitting on that metal rod must have been a little uncomfortable until he got used to it, the metal plate you suggest would definitely be more comfortable! We can't really tell which is used in the photo I posted.
Arbitrageur

Postby Slippery Jim » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:04 am

Great to see you here Arbitrageur!

That guy's arse must be sore! :lol:
You couldn't find your own arse with two hands, a map and Google!
Slippery Jim
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Arbitrageur » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:23 am

Slippery Jim wrote:That guy's arse must be sore! :lol:
Thanks for the welcome, Jim!

I don't know how they sit like that for hours at a time, I'd be ready to get off that thing after 10 minutes!
Arbitrageur

Postby the|exx » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:40 am

Arbitrageur wrote:I recognize some names from another place and I'm sure some will recognize me too.

I came over to check this site out.

So far I like what I see!

Hi Arbitrageur,

Good to see you here and welcome to RU! You will make a fine edition to the RU team. I always pause to read your posts over at ATS and they are often a highlight! Thank you! The investigative works undertaken by ZepTepi, Ryguy and AccessDenied are incredibly thorough and revealing. To use a metaphor, It's like finding a rich vein of gold and realising at the same time that your pockets have been filled with mostly pyrite up until that point. :lol: Add to that, they are great guys too.

I hope you enjoy it here mate. I can only foresee RU going from strength to strength in the future. I have no doubt that you will play your own instrumental role in that.

Regards,
IRM
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Why Not? » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:36 am

Arby.....my man!!

I tell you what.....

Have you seen how much bigger my welcome thread is than CHRLZ's?

Cheers
Why Not?
Must focus.....
Ignore the junk.....
Ignore the lunatics.....
Why Not?
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Next

Google

Return to New Members