Where cheese smells, girls run away

Tell a little about yourself here

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Where cheese smells, girls run away

Postby Buckwild » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:22 am

Hi everyone,

Yes I come from the country where cheese smells, but hey, the nastier, the better they say. :D

For those who don't have a clue, it is France. I already know a few people here like Internos, Nablator, Gilles.F (+ some other ATS folks) and OZWeatherman that I enjoy reading in some Japanese astronomy related forum.

I am one of those who contracted the American dream so America's contemporary culture had a big influence on me and still does to this day.

Ufology is one of my (unproductive) hobbies but I also like sky watching & space related topics, snowboarding, flying planes, women, big game fishing & (really) fast boats, shooting guns and so on...too many to be listed. :)

My plan is to build my own instrumental platform to record sky events and Scot Stride (JPL & NASA & S3ETI) is my inspiration.

My true love is my two kids. May the little greys bless them.

Please excuse my english as it is not my native language.

Cheers,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Re: Where cheese smells, girls run away

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:54 am

hi Buck.

welcome, im not sure if we have spoken before on ats but im sure you'll fit in well here as it seems that you keep good company.

and your english is fine, probably better than mine and i am english!. lol

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Buckwild » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:16 am

Hi R.E

Thanks for the welcome.

I like good company but I don't know if they like me as one of my "specialties" is to try to debunk (when I think it is necessary) claims made by ufo-skeptics and guess what, I love it, it is way more fun (intellectually speaking) than debunking conspirationists and pro-ETHers.

Cheers and oh, by the way, I love England as well, the music & art scene in general is just very inspiring and out of hands.

++
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby m0r1arty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:50 am

Bonjour Buck,

Welcome to RU.

I hope you find your time here worthwhile and rewarding. It may not be as fast paced as ATS but what you do get here is posts of a good quality which are generally troll free.

I look forward to your input and thoughts about all matters paranormal.

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Access Denied » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:57 am

Buck,

Welcome to RU, nice intro.

Sounds like you’ll fit in just fine here. I for one love a good challenge!

We all should be prepared to have our hypotheses tested and refined or rejected if necessary.

After all, that’s how Science (knowledge) progresses…

Tom
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Hey Buckwild!

Welcome - and your English is perfectly fine. :-)

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Buckwild » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate. :)

Access Denied : We all should be prepared to have our hypotheses tested and refined or rejected if necessary. After all, that’s how Science (knowledge) progresses…

Off course, problem is that "we" see it as a negative outcome when it is just the opposite in reality. Gaining knowledge from our mistakes (calculus, fallacious reasoning, unreliable sources , etc...) and admitting them should be greatly enjoyable even if it seems to contradict our own little unsignificent => (to be honest) agenda(s).

I do believe (but I cannot prove/demonstrate it) that we all have a little agenda, even unconsciously. Like Harvey J. Irwin stated in his book (THE PSYCHOLOGY OF PARANORMAL BELIEF: A RESEARCHER'S HANDBOOK)

psychodynamic functions hypothesis (PFH) suggests that people adopt paranormal beliefs when those beliefs serve psychological functions for them...warding off anxiety, providing meaning, reducing uncertainty, and so on

I suppose that the PFH is also @ work with non-paranormal beliefs & critical thinking. In our task to define the supernatural in some other plausible way to have it investigated by science, we sometimes fail to separate clearly our metaphysical positions & standpoints (i.e : philosophical naturalism) from our methodological approach (i.e : methodological naturalism). It's understandable because those two are linked but overcoming bias starts right there and one of them is ideological criticism using various technics like cherry picking, interpreting historical facts errouneously, etc...

We have to keep in mind that our own agendas can sometimes lead us to some significant bias. With that in mind, we know we'll never be a bias free biological "machine" but at least, we know why we could be so wrong at times and maybe even learn how to accept it. => 4 the smartest ones :wink:

nb : my "little" agenda is on my new avatar :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Buckwild » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:16 am

OMG, I just found out that "Astrophotographer" = T.Printy

This is great !

We do share quiet a few hobbies, like astronomy and submarines. I've read most Michael DiMercurio's books more than once and I own a few submarine simulators (like Silent Hunter II, III, IV, V and Sub Command) Unfortunatly, a small handicap (missing fingers in one hand) stopped me from applying to Annapolis Naval Academy (that I visited).

I know for a fact that I would have failed physical exams, maybe not physical aptitude test.

I had the same problem in my native country but hey, life goes on...

I know I will ask you a few questions regarding subs as well as astronomy related issues and off course ufos.

I hope that I'll be able to debunk some of your claims :arrow: (just kidding :mrgreen: ) but who knows... :)

nb : Odin57 aka Phil is a friend of mine, in case you have any questions regarding his work

Cheers & keep up the good work !
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby the|exx » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:44 am

Welcome Buckwild!

|exx
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Buckwild » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi ChrLz,

1. As pointed out by AD earlier, there is a significant difference between calling someone a liar, and simply saying they are incorrect and pointing out why. Hereabouts, we would prefer the latter approach, thanks.

Source : viewtopic.php?f=29&p=35314#p35314

You guys should then come up with a new dictionnary, in "my" books, lies equal =

1. A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
2. Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.

Source : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Lie

This is precisely by definition what JMA did, this is also what Nablator (ufo-skeptic as well) was the first to point at and he used the word "lie" as well. It gets even better, in the links I provided, Marius aka Patrice Seray, one of the ufo-skeptic investigators on this case & administrator of S.O confirmed that I was right without offensing JMA by using the "L" word and then later, JMA himself wrote an article about how he messed up ! Add to theses facts that I backed up everything I claimed/stated, so I did not break the rules.

What else do you want to realize that he lied & distorted facts ? The pope himself to confirm it ?

Now, two things/choices, either JMA is total dumb ass & newcomer within the ufology field and this specific case of Trans-en-Provence, or either he is a straight up liar with an agenda, you choose, I already know*.

* JMA knows this case very well and all the main investigators/protagonists, he has been around ufology for years and here in France and even Europe, we all know who he is and his bad rep ! I warned T.Printy about that and if you want to give skepticism/your forum a bad name, go ahead and protect him !

AD called me a "liar" himself so what ? You guys have to get your stuff together because your definition of a lie does not exist and/or is geometricaly variable !

Sorry folks, but you are wrong, very wrong, when someone makes false statements in order to deceive, to ridicule someone else and to give a wrong impression, it is called a lie and that is exactly what JMA did ! Distorting facts/reality = lies. I am not even talking about the defamatory statements !

Now, when Nablator called me a "lying bastard" because I used a different name in a different forum to pull a stealthy move on them, he was right, I have been lying in order to do it. What about the word "bastard", isn't it your job to moderate this kind of message ? Where where you when he said that, why did AD call me a "liar" ?

All I understand from this problem is that if a ufo-skeptic make things up & distort the truth, it is not a lie in this forum, it is called "being incorrect". Come on, this is a joke !

Now, who lied big time when talking about me ? :arrow: Gilles.F, I exposed his lies in another forum where I know some ufo-skeptics who know the story about my own sighting/observation hang out. None of them said that I was lying. They would have jumped on this to "debunk" me !

It's just crazy, here in France, we like to call a cat by it's name ! Now, I could understand why you do not want people to call each other liars, because then troubles come but hey, Access Denied, called me a "liar" as well, so it would be like "do what I say but not what I do".

It's a joke like I said, don't expect people to take you seriously if "you" act like that and go by your rules if you violate them in the first place.

Cheers anayway,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby chrLz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:59 pm

If you wish to complain about moderation, this isn't the place or way to do it.

But seeing you wish to do this publicly..

You guys should then come up with a new dictionnary, in "my" books, lies equal =
1. A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
2. Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.

And perhaps YOU should have read my comments more carefully, and also the forum rules. My comments do NOT dispute the definition of 'lie', they refer to the use of 'liar' as a noun, and any associated insulting language.

Read this carefully - THE FORUM's RULES STATE:
Personal attacks upon other posters are prohibited. While lively discussion is encouraged, all posters are expected to maintain a courteous decorum toward others, even when expressing an opposing viewpoint.

That rule applies to everyone, including YOU. Perhaps there is a language/culture difficulty, but the term liar is particularly insulting in my country. Calling someone a liar is very different to simply pointing out the falsehoods, and it breaches the rules, especially when embellished with other insulting language. So here on this forum, you will point out the falsehoods ONLY, avoid the insults, and everything will be fine.

And unlike you, I actually checked the thread, and noted that AD did not call you a 'liar', but drew attention to some "lies", without any extra insults.

If you can't understand that or don't wish to follow the rules, this is not the forum for you.

PS - Further moderation has taken place behind the scenes with regard to others on that thread, so don't think you are getting special treatment..
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Buckwild » Sun May 01, 2011 4:01 am

Ok ChrLz, I will say "this is a false statement, Bobby-digital" and prove it instead of saying "you are a liar, you sucker" and prove it. Easy ! :mrgreen:

One problem, I might be dumb or there's a language/cultural barrier but when you said :

And unlike you, I actually checked the thread, and noted that AD did not call you a 'liar', but drew attention to some "lies", without any extra insults.

I don't even know which ones ! Do you ? But he called me a liar implicitly*:

Unfortunately it appears the only “lies” here are from you so far. As noted in the “Can You Trust Them?” thread, this kind of stuff belongs in the Latrine but I think I’ll leave it here as an example for others.

* : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/implicitly

And remember, I am not responsible if AD holds some beliefs on me :

Why are you so obsessed with skeptics anyway, did somebody rain on your parade or what?

Generalizing is never a good thing* ! He cannot even prove it !

* do I need to prove that I debunk pro-ETHers as well and parapsychologroupies ?

Read my first few messages, debunking ufo-skeptics* is more fun and stimulating for me, I do not have a hidden agenda, do I ? :wink: :mrgreen:

You should be happy ! :mrgreen:

* : actually debunking ufo-skeptics or pseudo-ufo-skeptics is an interesting process. Imo, you learn many more things this way...

Cheers,
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby chrLz » Sun May 01, 2011 4:43 am

I take it that lengthy icon-riddled post means you have now acknowledged the forum rules and will follow them? A simple yes would have been sufficient...

In brief - you did use several insults and personal attacks in that thread, and the fact that you may have been provoked is no excuse. If someone insults *you*, report the post and do not respond in kind.
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Buckwild » Sun May 01, 2011 11:42 pm

chrLz wrote:I take it that lengthy icon-riddled post means you have now acknowledged the forum rules and will follow them? A simple yes would have been sufficient...

In brief - you did use several insults and personal attacks in that thread, and the fact that you may have been provoked is no excuse. If someone insults *you*, report the post and do not respond in kind.

OK chrLz,

I'll follow the rules but remember, Access Denied called me a liar implicitly and failed to demonstrate* it, Nablator called me a "lying bastard" and the only word/insult I used was the word "gayish".

Access Denied : regardless of your “without a doubt” straw man, clearly he endorsed the evidentially unsubstantiated MHD “hypothesis”…

This is not a demonstration !

First, he did not clearly endorsed it and I can demonstrate it easily & clearly :

It was not the aim of the author to identify the exact nature of the phenomenon observed on the 8th of January 1981 at Trans-en-Provence. But it can reasonably be concluded that something unusual did occur that might* be consistent, for instance, with an electromagnetic source of stress. The most striking coincidence is that at the same time the French physicist J.P. Petit was plotting the equations that led, a few years later (Petit,1986), to the evidence that flying objects could be propelled at very high speeds without turbulences nor shock waves using the magnetohydrodynamic effects of Laplace force action! It should now be most interesting to determine a catalog of the biochemical effects of electromagnetic waves, particularly the spectra of the continuous effects of varying em parameters, such as frequencies, intensities modulation and pulses. A number of experimental data found in the literature (Bounias, 1984) and in theoretical studies (Veve & Bounias, 1987) suggest that such a program would be of wide importance not only for UFO studies, but also, for instance, in medicine (Douss et al., 1985; Somjen et al., 1982) and related areas.

Source : http://www.scientificexploration.org/jo ... ounias.pdf

* might (mīt)
aux.v., Past tense of, may.
Used to indicate a condition or state contrary to fact: She might help if she knew the truth.
Used to indicate a possibility or probability that is weaker than may: We might discover a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Used to express possibility or probability or permission in the past: She told him yesterday he might not go on the trip.
Used to express a higher degree of deference or politeness than may, ought, or should: Might I express my opinion?

Source : http://www.answers.com/topic/might

So the only person that was not correct is Access Denied because he said that MB clearly* endorsed the MHD hypothesis.

adj. clear·er, clear·est
1. Free from clouds, mist, or haze: a clear day.
2. Not obscured or darkened; bright: clear daylight; a clear yellow.
3. Easily seen through; transparent: clear water.
4. Free from flaw, blemish, or impurity: a clear, perfect diamond; a clear record with the police.
5. Free from impediment, obstruction, or hindrance; open: a clear view; a clear path to victory.
6. Plain or evident to the mind; unmistakable: a clear case of cheating.
7. Easily perceptible to the eye or ear; distinct.
8. Discerning or perceiving easily; keen: a clear mind.
9. Free from doubt or confusion; certain.
10. Free from qualification or limitation; absolute: a clear winner.
11. Free from guilt; untroubled: a clear conscience.
12. Having been freed from contact, proximity, or connection: At last we were clear of the danger. The ship was clear of the reef.
13. Free from charges or deductions; net: a clear profit.
14. Containing nothing.
adv.

Source : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/clearly

So not only I did not lie, I was called a liar implicitely and Access Denied used the plural :

AD = Unfortunately it appears the only “lies” here are from you so far.

Not only he failed (see above) to demonstrate that I lied but he told me implicitely that I lied more than once
!

I just want Access Denied to say that he was wrong by calling me implictely a liar unless he can clearly demonstrate it ! And he should do it in the original topic, not here. That's the least he can do I think.

Now remember, the only persons who did say some incorrect and/or false statements are :

-Gilles.F (with the Crystal-Meth & ufo-skeptics fantasy story he made up (I can prove it)
-JMA (I demonstrated it)
-Access Denied (see above)

But I'll remember one thing, if you criticize a ufo-skeptic who made false statements and demonstrate it, this stuff belongs in the latrine (i.e : toilets, restroom) Are you guys really sure that you like the "truth", I wonder ?

++
Buck
Buckwild
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Access Denied » Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 am

Buckwild wrote:Access Denied called me a liar implicitly...

Trust me, if I believed you were a liar, I would have just called you one.

I believe you were being disingenuous and immature which is why I said what I said the way I said it.

Now, you said in one of your posts it was going to be your last one so my question is, why are you still here?

I can tell you why from our standpoint…

Some of us believe you have the potential to make some valuable contributions here.

Any more questions?
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to New Members