Nab the n00b

Tell a little about yourself here

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Nab the n00b

Postby nablator » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:20 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum so I should introduce myself properly. Problem is, I'm a nobody and my curriculum is so amazingly dull that you would fall asleep reading it.

In short I'm a french software engineer, a former civil engineer, living near Paris. I learned English by reading a huge amount of american and british science-fiction & fantasy novels twenty years ago. I have also been reading UFO literature since the 80s, but had several very long lapses in interest. The few UFOs I have seen were never too weird to rationalize, which may explain why I am not as obsessed with UFOs as some people I met on forums - my crazy friend Buckwild for example.

I always thought that UFOs are worth investigating, a fascinating subject to study and many things to learn, philosophical, physical, psychological and sociological. More seriously investigating cases since 2006 and joining forums led me to the skeptical point of view that a very large trash can is needed. I am no longer convinced that we are being visited by interdimensional or extra-ultra-meta-intra-cryptoterrestrial beings. Now I'm trying to get real 100% of the time, and failing. It's tempting to abandon the search for truth and settle for a good fantasy. :?

I had the pleasure to meet many of you on ATS. On forums I am a self proclaimed digital photo analysis expert. Just pretending, actually, but I do know a few technical tricks that very few people fully understand, such as: how to create convincing altered original camera JPEGs for instance, and how to detect fakes – no hoaxer has done them right yet.

I try to help my good friends (Gilles F. is one) on the sceptic-ovni french-speaking forum armchair-investigating cases. I am certainly not a ufologist. God forbid. :mrgreen:
Last edited by nablator on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Re: Nab the n00b

Postby Tim Hebert » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Nab,

Welcome! I wanted to take the time to thank you, Gilles, and Nemrod for assisting me in my efforts on the French sites. I enjoy reading the Sceptic-Ovni forum (with translation!). Look forward to your take on some of the issues being discussed here at RU.

Tim
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi Nablator.

welcome, dont worry about being a nobody, i'm far more of a nobody than you! lol.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby chrLz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:31 am

Nab - it's great to see you here - welcome! As for you being a 'nobody', I've seen your work and you are being needlessly modest! Your background, attitude and interests read rather like mine - do you have any long lost Oz relations?

:D
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:57 am

Welcome to the site Nab, I've greatly enjoyed reading your insight so far. Can I also say your understanding and use of English is top-notch. I look forward to your participation!

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:11 am

Welcome Nab - if your opening post is any indication, I have to agree with Steve your English is excellent and I look forward to reading your perspective on the topics here. Thanks for joining!

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:07 am

nablator wrote:Problem is…

…I'm a french software engineer, a former civil engineer, living near Paris.

The problem is you’re educated, fluent in two languages, or living near Paris? :)

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to working with you to try and solve any mysteries we come across...

Tom
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby nablator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 am

chrLz wrote:Nab - it's great to see you here - welcome! As for you being a 'nobody', I've seen your work and you are being needlessly modest!

Me, work? You may be confusing me with someone else. :D

Your background, attitude and interests read rather like mine - do you have any long lost Oz relations?

Now I'm sure you're confusing me with someone else.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:09 am

Access Denied wrote:The problem is you’re educated, fluent in two languages, or living near Paris? :)

All of them: ignorance is bliss, I hate Paris, and, and, ... I'm fluent in only three languages (if you ever need to translate serbo-croatian, just ask) because I forgot German, mostly. :)
Last edited by nablator on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome !

I have a lot of catching up to do, this site is awesome. Looking forward to read and learn from you guys.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby m0r1arty » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi Nab,

Nice to see you here and I look forward to your very valuable skills and knowledge with photo analysis.

We may be a motley crew but we're committed.

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby James Carlson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi, Nab -- I wanted to add my welcome to you as well; I'm looking forward to your discussions here at RU. For those not aware of it, Nab was the first person in Europe (to my knowledge anyway) to take note of "Americans, Credulous" and decide that there was enough evidence presented to merit serious examination. Like Tim says above, I also enjoy reading the Sceptic-Ovni forum, and I stop by frequently. I suspect I have a more difficult time with the language barrier than he does, as a result of which I don't do a whole lot of posting -- but I do a lot of (very slow) reading, I assure you! I lived in Italy for three years, and I was still unable to carry on a decent conversation in any language that wasn't English; my wife and most of her family speak Spanish from their own cultural heritage, but I can't seem to get past that one either -- I'm sure it probably has a lot to do with the subject-verb order, but who knows ... In any case, welcome to RU -- I'm sure we'll have some fun! 8)
James
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby nablator » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:12 am

Hi, James,

I was very excited when I discovered your book. At last someone who is very knowledgeable about this famous case wrote an in-depth analysis! I loved it but felt overwhelmed by its complexity. I was soon tasked to translate excerpts and write an article about it for the SO forum. Personal problems this summer and the difficulty of summarizing such a long book kept me from finishing what I intended to do. Tim Hebert is doing a much better job that I could ever dream to achieve, writing short articles, easy to read and understand. A much more manageable task, from the amateur translator's point of view.

When the French UFO scene is quiet, we enjoy the challenge (as many of us are not fluent in English) of trying to understand and unravel American and British cases that are often very famous, but less than adequately documented in the available translations. Much is lost in translations and lack of [skeptical] sources because of the language barrier. As a result, the extraterrestrial always looks greener on the other side of the Atlantic. :mrgreen:
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby the|exx » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:34 am

Great to see you hear Nab... Welcome! I always take the time to read your informative posts at ATS and find myself nodding furiously to the point of whiplash! LOL! No doubt you will be an even larger asset here at RU!

Best,
IRM
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Why Not? » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Nablator.....

Its great to see you here.....

Methinks you are too modest by far.....

I was a big fan of your work on ATS!

Kind regards
Why Not?