Hello from Southern CA

Tell a little about yourself here

Moderators: ryguy, Zep Tepi

Hello from Southern CA

Postby bewildered » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:59 pm

It occurred to me that I ought to drop in here and say hello to everyone. Hiya!

I've looked in on the forum now and then and have followed some of the research here with interest. Great work by a number of members - top notch stuff really. A rational approach to what usually appears as decidedly irrational subject matter is something very few manage to pull off with consistency. I've learned a thing or two from you all and I'm looking forward to learning more.

A brief bit about me: I'm former military (one stint during Desert Storm), a jack of quite a few trades and master of none of them. My interest in the unexplained has led me to and fro over the years, fueled by some strange experiences in my life. Despite this I remain a rational skeptic at heart. It's one thing to suspect this or assume that, and quite another to discover that it's actually this or was really that. The objective evidence I've encountered over the years points inexorably to the culpability of perception in not just encounters with strangeness, but in all arenas of the human experience. It's only "magic" until you learn how it works. :)
bewildered

Re: Hello from Southern CA

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Welcome to RU bewildered, glad to have you here!

bewildered wrote:The objective evidence I've encountered over the years points inexorably to the culpability of perception in not just encounters with strangeness, but in all arenas of the human experience. It's only "magic" until you learn how it works. :)

Great quote, I wish more people would adopt the same philosophy :)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Smersh » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:16 pm

Welcome Bewildered. :)

I'd imagine you're even more bewildered now following your experiences over at that other place ... :wink:
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby bewildered » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:10 am

Thanks for the welcome, Zep. The nice thing about rationality is, it's never too late to embrace it.

Smersh wrote:Welcome Bewildered. :)

I'd imagine you're even more bewildered now following your experiences over at that other place ... :wink:

Believe it or not, smersh, "I can see clearly now the rain is gone." =D> :wink:
bewildered

Postby Access Denied » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:18 am

Welcome to RU neighbor... :)

Great user name, all this crazy stuff makes it hard not to be sometimes.

Tom
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby bewildered » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:40 am

Access Denied wrote:Welcome to RU neighbor... :)

Great user name, all this crazy stuff makes it hard not to be sometimes.

Tom

Right indeed, AD. Your second post in the MouseTrace thread here was an inspiration for me, a nice cognitive cup of coffee served at an excellent point in time. "Shame on me" is right...shame on us all, who stand frozen in the high beams of the car speeding towards us. We know what's coming, and we know how to get out of the way. Getting plastered all over the road is no excuse.

There's more to it than that, of course. Do you know better? Do you have a clue? Then speak up, because silence and doing nothing is in a way even worse than what the hoaxers and shysters are doing. Making a stand and sticking to (and insisting upon) the truth is worth whatever ill they may send your way. Let them worry about how they look, because that's all those clowns care about in the first place. It's all a game to the liars and the egocentric. The evil run rampant when there is nothing standing in their way.

I have the greatest respect for those who apply their critical skills to image analysis...still others, to unearthing facts as they might lie somewhere seemingly forgotten, gathering dust in the proverbial cabinet drawer. My own interest has been drawn more and more to psychology and how our minds work, for I see a common denominator and thread winding its way along these convoluted paths and crazy hallways, linking everything together in a causative manner: human beings and our perceptions. From the hoaxsters, to the cyberpathic liars, to the honest and sincere seeking answers, our minds are behind the scenes at all times. It's fascinating, weird, and not as irrational as it might seem to be on the surface.

Human, meet your mind. Mind, you already know the human. :wink:
bewildered

Postby Access Denied » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:58 am

Wow, speaking of a nice cognitive cup of coffee, I think you outdid me there… :)

Despite all the negativity associated with the study of UFOs and the paranormal in general (try putting that on your resume or bringing it up in a casual conversation with “normal” people) due to the fact the field is almost entirely based on the work of hoaxers, charlatans and crackpots, I still find this all incredibly fascinating… a valuable insight into the human condition if you will. What can we learn about ourselves from this and how can we apply that to better ourselves and mankind in general?

Always hard for me to express in words so always a relief to see others can… I’m feeling much better now. :D

Tom
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby bewildered » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:31 am

Access Denied wrote:Wow, speaking of a nice cognitive cup of coffee, I think you outdid me there… :)

Despite all the negativity associated with the study of UFOs and the paranormal in general (try putting that on your resume or bringing it up in a casual conversation with “normal” people) due to the fact the field is almost entirely based on the work of hoaxers, charlatans and crackpots, I still find this all incredibly fascinating… a valuable insight into the human condition if you will. What can we learn about ourselves from this and how can we apply that to better ourselves and mankind in general?

Always hard for me to express in words so always a relief to see others can… I’m feeling much better now. :D

Tom

You sell yourself short. Your posts can be quite inspiring. :)

My imagination always landed me in trouble at school. The other kids were drawing trucks and passing notes back and forth in class...me, I was drawing samurai, Spiderman, and Stormtroopers. A few years later, I was drawing cartoons starring my clueless teachers. :twisted: :mrgreen:

As I've aged, so has my relationship to imagination matured. Rationality and the desire for objectivity in perception transforms what was once the "la la land" of my childhood into something else entirely: a mirror of the conscious, a mental sandbox where one may play with boxes that behave like boxes, and consider what makes the mind "tick." At the least, that is what I would like it to be. It's a work in progress because no matter what I think, I have to be willing to subject it all to the impersonal test of reality. Can I be bulletproof? Not without appropriate body armor. My imagination sees what would happen without that armor protection all too succinctly. :shock:

Our imagination has such potential. How we handle and apply that imagination is entirely up to us. How we deal with that imagination is crucial, I think, to not only our continued survival but also to our ability overcome whatever obstacles stand before us. Personally, Tom, I think humanity as a species stands at the door to perception as we never have before. The advent of a pervasive and far-reaching media has been the catalyst behind this push to the threshold. What's so frustrating about this phenomenon is just how much can go terribly wrong if we lose touch with the rational and objective attributes of our existence. I feel the entire ball of wax associated with the paranormal, Ufology, the supernatural and so forth represents the imaginative potential manifesting in destructive, unproductive ways. Pathological might be a more fitting term for it, perhaps.

Fantasizing about ultra-advanced saviors waiting in the cosmic wings is about as productive as believing you are bulletproof, because you believe you are. It's a terrible waste. Unless those ultra-advanced saviors actually show up, what's the point? Does it matter that your desire to believe is what's really at stake here? Does it matter that someone keeps selling you a tainted bill of goods? Heck yeah it does. Of course you know this, and these are just rhetorical questions.

Another rhetorical question: if those "saviors" actually dropped in on your doorstep, would you actually want what they had to offer? Everything comes with a price. That's a lesson objectivity teaches, and oh boy, can that one be tough to sink in. #-o

I imagine it to be the journey of evolution. Here we find ourselves - more than ever perhaps - steeped in mythology, superstition, and make-believe. Here we find an opportunity to discover that we are rational creatures equipped with imagination. We can use that rationality as a guide to explore imagination and discover our place in the scheme of things. We also see what can go terribly wrong: the schemers, the manipulators, the liars, and the self-important. I think using rationality as a guide and learning what makes our minds "tick" will only help those driven by pathology stand out in even greater contrast. I think their brand of delusion is our greatest enemy, not "grays," demons, devils, or angry judgmental deities. I also think we are our saviors, not good looking chicks from the Pleiades. :mrgreen:
bewildered

Postby Access Denied » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:53 am

bewildered wrote:I also think we are our saviors, not good looking chicks from the Pleiades. :mrgreen:

That struck a chord with me...

[in more ways than one]

Let me take you to the Western gate
I got a letter, gonna meet your fate
Here comes the rider, on the Eye of the Sky
He’s gonna break you down, and let you die

I wanna know before you fade to black
You better listen, cos you don’t know Jack
I see you wear a silver rosary
Now do you need a little company?

And you’re barely alive
And you'll never learn
And you’re living outside
Outside yourself

I hear you scream across the Universe
Mother Nature’s little sacred curse
You have been painted with a twisted smile
I see it’s gonna have to take a while

You have lived in madness
You have been divided
Won’t you let it be
You can’t explain just how you feel

Take away my sadness
If you have decided
And I will make you see
Cos I’m the Saviour of the Real

8)
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:04 pm

bewildered wrote:Thanks for the welcome, Zep. The nice thing about rationality is, it's never too late to embrace it.

They should put that on a bumper sticker.

Welcome and thanks for the great intro. :-)

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby bewildered » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:25 am

ryguy wrote:
bewildered wrote:Thanks for the welcome, Zep. The nice thing about rationality is, it's never too late to embrace it.

They should put that on a bumper sticker.

Welcome and thanks for the great intro. :-)

-Ryan

Thanks, ryguy. I'm an admirer of what you all do here at RU. In regards to the schemes you've all uncovered and exposed in your articles and the threads here on the forum, the only emoticon that applies is this one: :shock: Despite my own research into the psychological anatomy of pathological individuals and a familiarity with their modus operandi, I never cease to be surprised by (and disgusted with) their behavior on a personal level. It's virtually impossible to wrap my mind around why someone would go to such elaborate lengths to create and sustain such falsehood and lies; how they can ruthlessly assault any individual they perceive as posing a threat of exposure...as well as how they seem to be able to lie without compunction or a pause in their stride.

It isn't as if the rest of us have never uttered a lie nor intentionally (or unintentionally) hurt another human being at all in our lives, because all of us certainly have at one time or another. This is at the core of the problem, however: we tend to project our own inner reality into others whether that is warranted or not. It's an act of blind faith. We assume that they experience the same emotions, inhibitions, and experience a similar empathy as we ourselves do. In many cases this is the correct thing to do, and it's how two human beings can negotiate "difficult waters" and achieve positive resolutions to conflict. We can "work it out" because those two human beings share empathy in common that permits one to consider the other, thus strengthening common bonds. They share a common passion for the truth...perhaps one of the two was mistaken and spent their passion in the wrong direction? Whatever the cause, two reasonable human beings capable of compassion and reasonable thought patterns can settle differences, or at the very least achieve a peaceful equilibrium.

This isn't the case with pathologicals such as sociopaths, and unfortunately cyberspace allows these predators the proper measure of anonymity and credibility to stalk and victimize the unwitting and the unwary (I like the term "cyberpath" to describe those who use the internet as their hunting ground). They are neither concerned with others beyond themselves nor do they care one whit about concepts such as objective truth or honesty. To the psychopathic their desires are reality and their efforts to satisfy them are always justified. Our blind faith in their similarity to ourselves allows them the camouflage they need to prey upon us in whatever fashion they desire and "get away" with it for the most part. Yes, this is at the core of how they can lie so fluidly and effortlessly...but even intellectually grasping that doesn't mean that I understand it. How can the Scammers wake up to themselves each morning? I couldn't take it for very long...I would implode under the pressure of my conscience.

It requires no small measure of courage to expose the schemes of those like Scammers, Inc, as in so doing you make yourself a target of their relentless, pathological attacks. They will defame you, they will revile you, and they will do everything they can to damage your credibility in the eyes of who those they consider both as their audience and their prey. However, at no time will they ever address the actual exposure of their schemes with facts or other objective measures, because the cyberpaths do not sufficiently grasp such concepts nor do they operate in such areas. They only probe for weaknesses in the psychological makeup of others that they deal with because to them, other human beings are only objects and things they use for their fulfillment and gratification.

At the risk of repeating myself, thanks for all that you do here, ryguy. Hats off and a salute! =D>
bewildered

Postby bewildered » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:00 am

Access Denied wrote:That struck a chord with me...

[in more ways than one]

Let me take you to the Western gate
I got a letter, gonna meet your fate
Here comes the rider, on the Eye of the Sky
He’s gonna break you down, and let you die

I wanna know before you fade to black
You better listen, cos you don’t know Jack
I see you wear a silver rosary
Now do you need a little company?

And you’re barely alive
And you'll never learn
And you’re living outside
Outside yourself

I hear you scream across the Universe
Mother Nature’s little sacred curse
You have been painted with a twisted smile
I see it’s gonna have to take a while

You have lived in madness
You have been divided
Won’t you let it be
You can’t explain just how you feel

Take away my sadness
If you have decided
And I will make you see
Cos I’m the Saviour of the Real

8)

Indeed so you are, AD. :)

I've never listened to Iommi outside of Black Sabbath - I just listened to that song right now on youtube. The lyrics are very relevant, to say the least. I suppose I should also be caned for missing Iommi's work outside of Black Sabbath, too. :oops: I mean who can part ways with that dude's incredible riffs, especially when he had such a tremendous impact on my own guitar playing and love of music? Okay, so I might be a bit sacrilegious because I like Dio's Black Sabbath better than Ozzy's (Neon Knights > War Pigs), but hey, what can I say...I tend to be a bit irreverent at times. :wink:
bewildered

Postby ryguy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:41 pm

bewildered wrote:It requires no small measure of courage to expose the schemes of those like Scammers, Inc, as in so doing you make yourself a target of their relentless, pathological attacks. They will defame you, they will revile you, and they will do everything they can to damage your credibility in the eyes of who those they consider both as their audience and their prey.

That's true - at the beginning that was difficult to deal with and understand. You definitely have a good grasp of the history here, I'm impressed. At the beginning, a few times the stress of those attacks really did a number on me, but I think I've become hardened to it over the years after coming to understand that there's far more bark than bite. But I'm positive it scares away most researchers, who are convinced the actual U.S. IC is involved (it isn't).

I don't think I would have survived those early years myself had it not been for the persistent presence of my friend Steve, who had a stamina and a will of stone - I'm not sure Genghis Khan himself could shake Steve. I assume it comes from his military background, but I think a lot comes from living the life he's lived. He was constantly there to advise me to just continue with the research and ignore the b.s. threats. He constantly said if it came to blows he would have my back - that is an amazing thing to have during times like that.

Over time, the fear turns to anger, then it turns to resentment, and then finally to tireless resolve. I don't think I'd have the same passion for the truth today if I hadn't gone through that trial by fire back then.

The research started in 2005 and now, 6 years later, I'm a different person because of it. I'm sure Steve would probably say the same about his own experiences.

And finally, for the past few years the addition of AD to this team has added a level of sanity and a greater appreciation for evidence and the scientific process that is absolutely necessary in any search for truth. So it appears we're headed in the right direction.

However, at no time will they ever address the actual exposure of their schemes with facts or other objective measures, because the cyberpaths do not sufficiently grasp such concepts nor do they operate in such areas. They only probe for weaknesses in the psychological makeup of others that they deal with because to them, other human beings are only objects and things they use for their fulfillment and gratification.

I agree - I think a lot of it is that their previous positions or their professional status leads to a sort of elitism, where they see themselves as above the general populous in terms of intellect and overall. The pathology I personally witnessed ranged from extended hands of friendship to outright threats of being framed. It was disconcerting to see grown men - supposedly professional men in high-level positions in Corporations or Academia - acting like child bullies. It took a long time to understand that even men in high positions can be (in fact maybe more often than not) pathological - or sociopaths. I love the term "cyberpath"!

To this day I am confused as to how or why the mental illness (as that's clearly what it is) manifests itself in these men as it does. But it is fascinating to see and as odd as it sounds I feel lucky to have learned about it so early in my life. At least now I know what to look for.

At the risk of repeating myself, thanks for all that you do here, ryguy. Hats off and a salute! =D>

Thanks bewildered, that really means a lot to me. It's not always easy staying motivated and forging ahead. I need to get back into doing more here again, and reading things like your previous post are very encouraging, so thank you.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby bewildered » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 am

I finally got around to getting back on here. To make a long story short, my previous PC went goodbye. Out with that goodbye went handy things like cookies and whatnot - things that enabled me to log on to websites where I'm registered. I had quite a few, and was in the habit of recording them until I eventually I slacked off and said "bah, forget it."

Quite a few things happened in the past 4 months or so. OMF shut down; pseudo-OMF kicked off; pseudo-pseudo OMF cropped up; trolls continued to be trolls; con artists and hoaxers kept busy; pseudo-pseudo OMF died...and so on. In other words, I really didn't miss much.

Good to see DrDil around! :)
bewildered

Google

Return to New Members