Some critical reading for those new to the Serpo story

Project Serpo related discussion

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Postby dankk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:18 pm

Ryan,

If I am not mistaken, i believe that ZT has already done the links and snip-its in his post. I dont really understand what I should do here that would make it different than what ZT has posted. I wanted it here in full for the lazy reader. lol But, I also want it done right to keep in check with proper posting etiquette.

Are you saying that I should post a link to the CC license in my posts as well? I should make a link to each individual piece of the posts Byrd made to that particualr part of the thread? Maybe I should just delete the whole thing since it looks like i would be duplicating what ZT has already done. That would be simply a waste of space and bandwidth i think?

Regards,

Dankk
dankk
Banned

Postby ryguy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:28 pm

No, you're posts weren't a waste of space, it's good to have those posts laid out like that and easy for the newbie to Serpo to access and follow. Maybe I misunderstood. I thought they were different posts made by Byrd...in which case you'd only need to quote about 3 paragraphs and then offer a link to the particular post to meet the CC license rules. I'll poke around in a bit when I have some time and fix em' up.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby dankk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:09 pm

They are different posts. Each one of them is a separate post as part of a series all contained in one thread. The thread that they are copied from is linked at the top of each of my posts and the proper credit is given to the poster (Byrd) and the actual starter of the thread (sdrumrunner) that the subsequesnt posts are within.

In addition, the website is named in my initial post and also explains why it is here and how to get to the ATS forum for more reading. The posts have not been altered in any way except for the slight formatting changes between the different boards. Anything that I say is is quotes and is separate from the ATS posts because of the quotes. Byrd's posts are also prefaced to be the same person writing on the same topic at the same forum.

Thanks for your help on this Ry. I believe this writing is too important to be passed over and I just want to provide every opportunity to afford readers a chance to see it in its entirety. For some reason IPF doesnt think it is good reading and that is quite alright by me. He is certainly entitled to his opinion. I would love for him to read it all and then get back to me though. :)

I was going to add more stuff from that thread (unchanged and credits given of course), but maybe now i will wait and see what changes you make to see if it is a good idea to do or not. If you want to change just my first of Byrd's posts as a format for me to follow, I will do the rest of them to save you the time involved in changing all of them.

Regards,

Dankk
dankk
Banned

Postby kiwicocky » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:43 am

Thanks for posting this here Dankk. I'm one who rarely goes to ATS, and I'd have no idea how to find these posts there :(

Nothing against ATS!!!!

Busy schedule, slow dialup etc etc.

I'd love to see a critque like that of Burisch, not to mention many others :)

Maybe I'll shoot over there and hunt for other gems of reason ....

I really like Byrd's conclusion - the 'Cadre of Clowns' are easy to spot, all propping each other up.
kiwicocky
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby dankk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:39 am

No problem Kiwi :)

Well, actually it is a small amount of trouble making sure all the entries follow the rules and courtesies of the different boards. Intellectual property is not something I want to be in violation of or breach somehow. No other reason than to be friendly with ATS and those that put out such great writings!

You, like myself, do not go to the ATS forum. I have been there a few times. The layout (in my opinion only) is absolutely horrible and I hate the ads everywhere. I am bombarded with ads and junk in every tiny post I have ever read there. That is not the place for me. I never signed up for an account due to this very thing.

This series of writings by Byrd however, is awesome and definately worthy of a read! That is why I am trying to put it in a context that will be acceptable to those at ATS. ~Giving proper credits and making sure that the intellectual property is that of Byrd, ATS, and follows the CC guidelines. And stays that way. :)

Regards,

Dankk
dankk
Banned

Postby Springer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:43 pm

As I said, at RealityUncovered, I'm not worried about the copy paste as long as Zep doesn't mind the redundancy on his server (bandwidth costs money).

Dankk, the way you get rid of the ads is to sign up, that's the incentive for registering. You'd be shocked at how much it costs to keep a site the size of ATS up and running with all the free features (podcasting, Blogs, guest speakers,etc...) secure and constantly fresh. It's in the several thousands of dollars a month, thus we have to advertise to pay all that, BUT registered Members see less than 10% of the ads "Visitors" see, ask Ry he'll tell you. :)

The Creative Commons Deed is very simple. The way it works is you pick out the three or four paragraphs you think are the best "intro" for the post and place a link to the original post on the original website it was written on. We've made it very easy at ATS with a little button on each post labeled "copyright" if you click that it gives you all the code you need to simple copy paste the links. :)

Springer...
Never argue with an idiot. He'll only take you DOWN to his level and beat you with experience!
Springer

Postby dankk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:58 pm

lol... thats funny. *chuckles* i didnt sign up because of all those ads. When if I would have signed up, I wouldnt have seen all of that. Ironic isnt it? lol

Ok, well if Zep doesnt mind, then i will just leave the posts in their entirety since you dont mind, but go back and get the copyright link and insert it in the posts. I dont think that you are saying I have to do that, but as a show of wanting to keep with the rules, I would like to do it.

Regards,

Dankk

[edit] I went to the copyright button and it took me here.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/cc. ... id=2004455

It explained what was necessary but no codes where there Springer. :( I am using Mozilla FireFox 1.5.0.7 as my browser.
dankk
Banned

Postby Springer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:23 pm

Dankk:

You're right, sorry about that. We had t change the "code" thing a while back because of something our security contractor pointed out I think.

In any case, no worries, You've done a very good job at giving credit to Byrd (who is a "she" by the way :) ) and ATS, MUCH BETTER than most people ever do.

I sincerely appreciate the effort you've already put forward and it is fine, the fact you started out trying to do the right thing speaks volumes about your character. :)

Yes, that is ironic (the ad thing) but it's true. We've tried dozens of different approaches to the advertising and none seem to work mainly because over 2,000,000 of the unique IP addresses that come to ATS each month are "Visitors". It makes sense considering the "mind space" of the average person interested in conspiracy theory, they don't want to give out ANY information, not even an email address they will never look at again.

One thing for sure though, if you ever decide to register it will be an amazing difference. Every once in a while I fire up a different browser and have a look at the site as a Visitor, it's astounding how much advertising these millions of people are willing to overlook to read the stuff they are interested in.

Byrd's thesis on "slurpo" is a gem, she's an Anthropologist so she does have a good basis in education for her views. Her Father was a Colonel and her brother is a General in the US Military, so she has a good basis in the military side of it as well. :)

Again, THANK YOU for doing the right thing, it's sad how rare that can be on the internet.

Springer...
Never argue with an idiot. He'll only take you DOWN to his level and beat you with experience!
Springer

Postby ryguy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:35 pm

Springer wrote:.... BUT registered Members see less than 10% of the ads "Visitors" see, ask Ry he'll tell you. :)

Yeah - BIG difference in ads as a member. For me, ATS serves as a huge encyclopedia of data...

Plus - I love the debates. I still say I won the last championship round. lol

For me - the difference between ATS and here isn't so much that one is a better experience, it's just a different experience. It's like a huge university vs. a small college. Some people like the resources and volume of information a large university offers - other people like the 1-on-1, intimate analysis of information between staff and members that exists at a small college.

Just a matter of taste and what kind of experience one wants. Personally I like a little bit of both.

Cheers,
-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby dankk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:37 pm

I actually took it a step further behind the scenes Springer. :) Before I ever posted any of this, I did contact Zep to see if it would be alright to do this. I got his permission, and only then did I make the posts.

I would still like to make this post as close to 100% in accordance with the CC deed as possible if I can. maybe 1% off because instead of the few paragraphs posted to best desribe, I wanted it all in its entirety for the lazy reader that may not go to ATS.

You can PM me the codes if you want to.

Regards,

Dankk
dankk
Banned

Postby dankk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:48 pm

I just went back and made a few edits in the first and second posts. one was to correct gender reference and another was to give the general ATS website link as well, not just to the thread on that forum.

Regards,

Dankk
dankk
Banned

Postby Springer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:57 pm

No need for the "codes". They were nothing more than a link to the original thread already formatted with [url][/url] tags, the first three paragraphs of the post and the verbiage about the CC license.

I think there was an exploit in the coding that grabbed the first three paragraphs our security firm was worried about. I don't remember exactly what the deal was but we've eliminated it so it's a moot point.

You've got it close enough.

Here, I'll go one better than the CC License:

I give Reality Uncovered.com and the Member "Dankk" written permission as one of the owners of AboveTopSecret.com, LLP to present the "Byrd Serpo Thesis" content as posted on RealityUncovered.com. This permission is limited to the content specified above on RealityUncovered.com only and is continuous unless/until RealityUncovered.com is notified in writing of its termination.

Springer,
Partner, AboveTopSecret.com, LLP

There is no way to get more "right" than that. :)

I completely agree with Ry's assessment of the difference between ATS and RU. I, too enjoy both that's why I post here as well.

Springer...
Springer

Postby dankk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:41 pm

Sweeeet Springer sir! :)

I will put that in the first post. Thanks a plenty for your efforts!

Regards,

Dankk
dankk
Banned

Postby dankk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:48 pm

I think maybe I will add more of Byrd's thoughts from that thread later if that is alright with you Springer and Zep. There is more that I would love for others to see in there as well.

Regards,

Dankk
dankk
Banned

Previous

Google

Return to Project Serpo