Guide to Dealing with Hauntings

A spiritual perspective on phenomenon

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Guide to Dealing with Hauntings

Postby ryguy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:38 am

I was recently reading various articles on the evidence that exists for the existence of paranormal activities in haunted homes or locations.

I found one that I thought was really interesting at the FSPP:

http://www.fspp.net/index.html
(Chapter 15 - http://www.fspp.net/Online%20Course/chapter_15.htm)

While this particular article didn't present evidence (beyond the investigator's own personal testimony of experience) - his conclusion was profound and excellent, I thought.

He refers to the question about being "afraid" when paranormal activity starts to take place - such as books moving across a coffee table or objects flying across the room. The text below refers to that, but more specifically and importantly, he refers to the effects that the realization of the reality of such "impossible" activity has on the psyche of the clients.

The problem is that their model of the world has been destroyed. They are now living in a world that they never imagined existed and one they do not want to have to live in. I am repeatedly asked whether I get frightened on investigations. Truthfully, that rarely, if ever happens anymore. I am sure that the day will come when it will happen again but it has been many years since I have been frightened. Now, no one will ever accuse me of being particularly brave. However, the reasons are simple:

1) You become desensitized after awhile.

2) When you have seen hell, purgatory looks pretty good.

3) I am task saturated.

4) My model of the world in intact.

Obviously, the first is self-explanatory. The second simply means that when you have seen tables levitate and furniture being hurled around a room, seeing a coffee cup slide slowly across a counter does not do much for me. The third one is simple. When activity breaks out, I have a lot to do. Instrument readings must be taken, if there is movement of objects, a camcorder has to be turned on and if something begins to manifest, I need to take photos. There is too much to do to worry about how frightening the activity may be. The fourth is the one that the client needs to be taught. They are shocked because in their model of the world, furniture is not supposed to move on its own. Thus, when it happens, they are in a state of shock. That adds to their disorientation. For them, this does not make sense. They no longer feel part of the “real” world.

Now, in my world, I know this stuff happens and I expect to see it. When it happens, it becomes a line in my activity notes. “11:10 pm, books flew off the shelf in living room.” That is what it means to me. It is an item that I am expecting to see so when I do, it is hardly frightening. Once you help the victims alter their model of the world to one that includes this type of phenomena, they slowly begin to take back their lives. They will then begin to end their isolation and that in itself makes them better able to cope with their situation.

These are simple steps that can make the haunting far more tolerable. The best part is that you can do this right away, starting with the first phone call. Best of all, you can see the results right away. That is very fulfilling to me.

---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Spirituality and the Paranormal