Is the Bible simply a book?

A spiritual perspective on phenomenon

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Is the Bible simply a book?

Postby ScaRZ » Tue May 27, 2008 3:06 pm

I don't consider myself in any way a 'Religious" person. Most people think one must be religious in order to be a Christian. This is where I never climb on board the boat,but remain on the dock.

I don't believe religion has "Anything" to do with God the Father, Christ the Lord or the Holy Spirit. I don't believe you need a "System" in order to be a follower of Christ.
ScaRZ
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Shawnna » Tue May 27, 2008 6:38 pm

ScaRZ wrote:I don't consider myself in any way a 'Religious" person. Most people think one must be religious in order to be a Christian. This is where I never climb on board the boat,but remain on the dock.

I don't believe religion has "Anything" to do with God the Father, Christ the Lord or the Holy Spirit. I don't believe you need a "System" in order to be a follower of Christ.

I love how you express yourself, ScaRZ.

=D>

Now here's something that will shock some - I don't believe religion has anything to do with God/Allah/Buddah/Christ/Love/Universe..... or whatever other word one wants to use to describe the Undescribable........... period.

:P
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Shawnna's Reality
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue May 27, 2008 7:04 pm

Me neither. I believe religion is all about control. It used to be total control, a thought that sends shivers down my spine. Now, at least, we are free to choose our own path.

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Shawnna » Tue May 27, 2008 8:28 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:Me neither. I believe religion is all about control. It used to be total control, a thought that sends shivers down my spine. Now, at least, we are free to choose our own path.

Cheers,
Steve

Indeed Zep. And I would take that one step further and state that it is generally control through fear. Fear of hell, fear of demons, fear of you name it.........

In some cultures, it can actually mean fear for your life - especially if you're the wrong gender and not behaving according to the local religious school of thought.

:(
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Shawnna's Reality
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby You Can Call Me Ray » Wed May 28, 2008 5:58 am

D_J_M wrote:"Churches are monuments to self importance."--Don Juan Matus

Ray
The Universe is an Integrated System. Operational, Functional, and Physical.
You Can Call Me Ray
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Chorlton » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:41 pm

So back on topic.
Are there any other Books, like the Bible, that over time have gained credibility, just for being there (omitting the Koran)
Mahabharata or Ramayana for instance?
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby AussieMike » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:33 am

What i find hilarious is this

The premise is this "God" character alledgedly gave us "free will" so we could determine for ourselves whats right and whats wrong.

Then we have this book, often called by some the "good" book, and inside you will find clear examples of really bad things, Lot (described as a just and righteous man) offering up his daughters to the crowd for pack rape, and later getting not one , but both of them pregnant, oh thats right its not Lots fault, the daughters got him drunk, not too drunk to F... F... Fornicate , mind you just drunk enough to be not responsible, (try putting that excuse before a modern magistrate lol)

Or the "lord" sending 2 she bears to tear forty and two small children to bits, for the henious crime of calling one of his priests a baldy......

the list goes on and on

If the "test" this god character is setting ,in giving us free will ,is to figure out right from wrong, i reckon anyone who calls the bible the "good" book failed the test.

So many of the faithful simply accept the premise handed down from the generation before them, its the word of god and a good thing, but if you read it and judge it by its content, not what youve been told, its clearly bad.

It endorses slavery, destruction ,rape ,incest and vengance in the name of this god character just to name a few things.
I reckon if he did exist, and did give us free will, hed be sorely disappointed in those whove chosen to blindly accept what theyve been told is true about the nature of this book, rather than read it for themselves and make their own free mind up about what it endorses
AussieMike
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Previous

Google

Return to Spirituality and the Paranormal