Rotten to the Core

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Rotten to the Core

Postby Zep Tepi » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:25 am

Posted on the main site today. Use this thread for discussion.

The Core Story at its most basic level is about the “reality” of alien contact. The reality behind the Core Story however, is very different.

The Core Story was created by a small group of people, intent on perpetuating a belief in the alien contact myth in order to achieve their own, distinctly human, objectives.

This small group have used their previous employment by various government and military agencies to cement and enhance their standing within the so-called believer crowd. This larger group have done an excellent job in further spreading the myth, passing along stories and tales that they believe have come from those “in the know”.

Once the idea of the Core Story was planted, it was a fairly simple task for those within the small group to identify and target those people within the believer crowd whose pockets were deeper than most. Selling the promise of exotic alien technology or providing “proof” for those desperate for confirmation of the astounding is much more lucrative than you might think. Much, much more.

All of the above facts will be expanded upon in great detail over the coming days and weeks. The What, Who, How and Why will become very clear as we publish our evidence with each new update. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Re: Rotten to the Core

Postby Access Denied » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:51 am

Welcome back Steve, I don’t think it gets any more straightforward than that. :D

As we work to consolidate our various files, something for folks to consider in the meantime is that in his book TOP SECRET/MAJIC, Stanton Friedman had this to say about the beginning of his UFO career…

"As I gave more lectures, I found that I enjoyed speaking, and that people believed me no matter what I said. After all, I was a nuclear physicist for Westinghouse…"
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:53 pm

Access Denied wrote:As we work to consolidate our various files, something for folks to consider in the meantime is that in his book TOP SECRET/MAJIC, Stanton Friedman had this to say about the beginning of his UFO career…

"As I gave more lectures, I found that I enjoyed speaking, and that people believed me no matter what I said. After all, I was a nuclear physicist for Westinghouse…"

Awesome quote AD... :)

Just as a followup, I've updated TSW and will be updating the RU blog shortly. Each article on the RU main site by either myself, Steve or Tom will receive a followup of commentary on several sites that all link to RU. Was up late last night gathering some quotes regarding what's become known as the "Core Story." According to a few people, new, mutated versions of the core story were created by people like Bob Collins and others through the years.

But the point is this - Steve's update makes it clear that every version of the core story is part of the effort to proliferate ideas throughout the believer community. Those memes serve a useful purpose of "setting the stage" and provoking responses from hopefully new believers.

Just copy/pasting some of the quotes I found last night.

Dr. Green made the following statement in a public post on the RU Forum on December 3, 2007:

"I support Privacy (for sourcing) , and am agnostic on whether the Public could handle the story, if it were made known, and if what I think the story is, is even the story. There is actually more evidence the public would not deal well with it...and I think the "it" is rather trivial compared to what most on the internet are discussing. But I am an optimist that proper staging could work, and keep most of us relatively sane. Not that there is much evidence for that by reading Blogs!"

During a November 2006 phone conversation with Kit Green:

"I've seen dozen of cases of individuals who get sick after getting so involved and spending so much time on it, instead of stuff they should be doing in their real lives and in the real world. They have a fixed notion in their minds that any evidence to the contrary could not shaped. If you look at the various sites like at ATS concerning medical issues on abductees - they are delusional."

Me: "Yes but which parts of the 'core story' do you consider to be the 'sick parts'?"

Kit: "The parts of the story that have to do with genetic manipulation of the individuals who are alleged to be working with the aliens. Anybody who gets involved in that part of it ends up being sick - they spend a disproportionate amount of time on the topic. When they can't warmly embrace people outside this sphere of interest, and they simply no longer have time to even exist."

Fascinating stuff.

"Why do the Yankees always win? The other team can't stop looking at the pinstripes."
- Frank Abagnale

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby ScaRZ » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Good to see your back Steve. I've been keeping my eye open around here hoping you would start laying things out.
I'm really looking forward to reading everything you guys have put together.

I was hoping you guys might have some information on the UN-Source A. I've been following some of the postings at OM on the subject but really I see nothing more than the same game.
ScaRZ
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Hey Scarz - great to see you again!

The following info from March of 08 told me all I needed to know about the scam in the early part of last year. Kudos to Ted Roe for honorably publishing it and calling for Salla to own up:

http://www.kochkyborg.de/news/newsE06.htm

Hello,

NARCAP EAC member Dr. Jacques Vallee has extensive experience with the UFO matter both inside and outside of government including the United Nations. So I contacted him regarding Michael Salla's claim of a "Secret UN meeting" regarding UFOS that allegedly took place in February of 2008. I asked Dr.Vallee specifically if he knew anything about Gilles Lorant and if he could shed any light on this story.

His comments are below.

To put it simply, Msr. Gilles Lorant is not what Michael Salla claims that he is. So now we are left with determining the true roots of this story. Michael Salla claims that it arose from the Pickering brothers so the question arises regarding where they acquired it and the veracity of their source. I contend, and I am sure that many experienced researchers will agree, that such materials need to be thoroughly verified before they are placed in the public domain.

We have watched this story shift from claims of impending "disclosure" and an overt alien presence in 2013 or 2017 to a description that seemed eerily reminicent of Dr. Vallee's own presentation to the United Nations in 1978. While the story has shifted several times, Michael Salla has yet to retract his various claims.

Hopefully the information below will enlighten Michael Salla and others who may be taking this story to heart and he will make a public retraction of this story, cite the fraudulent claims of Gilles Lorant and take steps to protect his credibility.

This type of situation is unfortunate and underscores the need for caution and for verification of information before publishing it. Credibility is everything in this field and it is very, very easy to damage one's own credibility beyond repair.

Ted Roe

---

From NARCAP EAC member Dr. Jacques Vallee:

Dear Ted:

My friends in France can find no trace of Lorant at CNRS. He now claims he was an "auditor" at IHEDN but is now beyond the age limit.

You'll notice that the story speaks of "the Secret UN Meeting" even though it appears to have been a routine mid-level gathering (non-secret) to prepare an administrative conference.

The manipulation is becoming obvious. My advice is to stay away from it.

It seems to me this story is falling apart but the structure is very interesting -- along the lines of a psywar rumor process or what is known around the Internet as a "meme war":

1. You make up a really intriguing story that seems very legitimate by including respected names: UN, French Ambassador, DSK etc. and precise dates.

2. You leave it full of holes so that people will come up with questions, thus revealing who is interested and why.

3. You imply great secrecy, thus dangling new bits of mystery.

4. You slowly retract the story (since a lot of it was made up in the first place out of pure imagination) but you point to a legitimate-looking person (Lorant) who was there.

5. The legitimate-looking person (whose credentials don't check out) "reveals" more details but does not confirm the earlier story, thus gaining additional credibility and "dangling" new information.

6. Legitimate journalists reinforce the apparent story by trying to follow this new trail.

7. You throw in new intriguing names like Ted Kennedy and John McCain through new anonymous sources "who could be in danger if they revealed their names..." thus seducing more recognizable researchers into revealing their interest...

8. You use the Internet to circulate the whole mess to an increasing circle of people, hoping to create a mass effect.

9. At that point, any official denial of the story (or part of it) sounds like a cover-up or skeptical reaction, enabling you to claim that you are the victim of disinformation, etc. etc. All very clever.

Feel free to circulate my analysis. I'd like to know what other people think of this.

Jacques Vallee

Ted:

Oddly enough, some of the arguments of the alleged UN report are similar (although exaggerated) to the testimony I presented quite officially before the political committee of the UN in 1978, along with Dr. Hynek, Claude Poher, Gordon Cooper, Stanton Friedman and a few others in attendance. The meeting was non-secret (it was in fact open to the public and press) and widely reprinted.

Therefore I don't even grasp what Messrs. Salla, Lorant etc. are claiming in terms of new information, or why there would be such a pretense of great urgency and secrecy.

Last minute information: Gilles Lorant has been forced to resign from the FEA in France and has confessed that he was not and had never been associated with the IHEDN, which told him in no uncertain terms he would be brought into Court (such false claims and misrepresentation expose you to 100,000 euro fines, plus time in jail in France) unless he made it clear he had no such status.

So the whole thing has collapsed.

Jacques Vallee

Update 03. 17. 08

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:28:39 +0100

Subject: Gilles Lorant Did Not Meet UN Staffers

To all,

Michel Ribardiere, of the French group FEA (Federation Europeenne Airplane) has authorized me to reveal publicly that Gilles Lorant told him that he had not met with the two UN diplomats in charge of the UFO question! This new revelation comes after his admission that he had never been an auditor at IHEDN, nor a member of CNRS.

Consequently, it seems to me, all the testimony of Gilles Lorant about alleged UN meetings is now in deep doubt.

As for his alleged career as an Air Force pilot, that's another question which remains to be clarified. BTW, I don't recall having said to anyone that Lorant had participated in any high level military meeting. If someone believes that I said that, it must be a misunderstanding.

All that does not mean, in my opinion, that the UN meetings did not take place. But it is true that the demise of Lorant as a witness does not help to try to know more about them. It does not mean that Lorant has been an actor in a dark plot of disinformation, as some people are suggesting now. For me, this is unfounded speculation. Having met myself with Lorant several times, I really doubt that.

Gildas Bourdais

Unfounded speculation... we've certainly seen that once or twice before haven't we? LOL

Cheers,
-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Gary » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:01 pm

I suspect the "core story" may actually go back to the good ol' days of CIA/TSD MKULTRA (although it certainly was not referred to as the "core story" at that time).

It is possible that experiments conducted by TSD on unwitting test subjects may have produced surprising and unexpected AMP information (anomalous mental phenomena) of a "disturbing" nature that was not readily explained using conventional models.

Since it was Richard Helms who ordered the files destroyed, and given Helms' alleged suport of the core story, it might be worthwhile to investigate the few remaining threads.

Helms was also interested in using AMP for clandestine operational activities, as shown in a December 1963 memo, where Helms expressed his desire for on-going research into AMP.

It was Sidney Gottlieb at TSD who actively funded Targ and Puthoff at SRI in the early 1970s.
Gary
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Gary wrote:Since it was Richard Helms who ordered the files destroyed, and given Helms' alleged suport of the core story, it might be worthwhile to investigate the few remaining threads.

You did provide some excellent FOIA docs proving Helms' support (the 1963 memo) of much of the early "paranormal" research by the CIA, so clearly Helms had a part in all of this - he's referred to often within the various releases, and he's referred to indirectly by our (and your) sources...so you've got an excellent point.

I don't agree that evidence shows there were any successful AMP results - but that's a minor issue to disagree on. Because, the point you do bring up, which I do consider important, is the fact that regardless whether the experiment itself really was successful - particular folks did personally become convinced that they were successful.

This point removes the bone of contention in each of our arguments regarding the success of the experiments, and it allows us to focus on the behaviors of the people who believe that the experiments were/are successful. I think that's something we can probably agree had a tremendous impact on the last 30+ years of Ufology...

Thanks for your feedback Gary - I know we've all had some tiffs in the past, but the fact is that all of this is larger than any individual researcher, website, or forum...we've got to work together to get this stuff out there - finally put an end to the endless nonsense and reveal the true story.

Best Regards,
-Ryan
---

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby longhaircowboy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Having been involved in the UFO field now for more than a couple of decades I have witnessed the ever evolving story of UFOlogy and the many players who have come to define it. While the main corer of the story has remained its peripherals have changed the perception of the core. I'm afraid we may always be doomed to be the land of charlatans and hoaxers as long as there are those who insist on being believers of the religious type. The wisest will maintain some level of skepticism and, as it turns out, they will fall outside the circus.
Keep up the good work guys.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Gary » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:11 pm

ryguy wrote:
Gary wrote:Since it was Richard Helms who ordered the files destroyed, and given Helms' alleged suport of the core story, it might be worthwhile to investigate the few remaining threads.

This point removes the bone of contention in each of our arguments regarding the success of the experiments, and it allows us to focus on the behaviors of the people who believe that the experiments were/are successful. I think that's something we can probably agree had a tremendous impact on the last 30+ years of Ufology...

It is important to realize that from the point of view of operational intelligence a paranormal explanation is of far less importance than the utility of anomalous phenomena to elicit information of value.

The existence of operational tasking. beginning with CIA at SRI in the 1970s and across various intelligence agencies and military service organizations into the mid-1990s is evidence for the perceived value of the information and not evidence of a paranormal function of the human mind.
Gary
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby MikeJamieson » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:44 pm

[Mod Edit: topic split]

On another front: it's hard to say when RV became first used for operational tasking. But, the big case that's always brought out as something of the first operation is the one associated with Air Force Office of Technology Division at Wright/Patterson in the mid 70s when a couple of viewers located a downed aircraft in Africa. Jimmy Carter still loves talking about that one!

Glad ScarZ asked about that lame UN story. Just got another email update on that! (Emailer not convinced, but "open" to the story.) Great to see Vallee weigh in. These Silicon based "Conformers" might be a good basis for a cheapo sci-fi script/production, but I find it amazing people eat this stuff up as if it might be real (or is real among the incurably hopeless believers).

This is going to be fun to read the details. It might even help people throw out a bunch of mind clutter! And, go back into a "hey, I don't know" stance.

Another tangent: Have all this material organized. Material brought to us by Gary and Daz. So, the next two articles will include all of that as well as everyones input expressed in all those valuable threads. (Where we just might have all angles covered, so far as opinions and perspectives go.) Paul Smith's book is an incredible resource also.
MikeJamieson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby simonespeaks » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:09 pm

I LOOK FORWARD to more 'disclosure' on the ufological psyops group who have been pushing the "spaceships are here" propaganda. Did you see on the Discovery Channel (one of their ufo programs) how they showed the CIA admitting to that, to protect their black aeronautical projects.
simonespeaks

Postby ScaRZ » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 pm

Do you guys believe that the Pickering brothers (Clay and Shawn) are just being used to push the Source A offerings?
I see them much like Victor and Bill were used in the whole Serpo saga.
Do you see the Source A offerings as a different group,or could it be the same group as the Anons of Serpo?
These so called "Insiders",are they [True Insiders] or are they inside nothing at all?
ScaRZ
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby simonespeaks » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Read my post in the 'Invisible College ( Vallee )' thread, because it relates to this thread, as well.
simonespeaks

Postby suspicioso » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:53 pm

ScaRZ wrote:Do you guys believe that the Pickering brothers (Clay and Shawn) are just being used to push the Source A offerings?
Do you see the Source A offerings as a different group,or could it be the same group as the Anons of Serpo?
These so called "Insiders",are they [True Insiders] or are they inside nothing at all?

Not sure if I count as one of "you guys" but...

If you look at the people involved in what I sometimes refer to as the "A team" you can see something of the structure around this story.

The "A team" was originally comprised of:

Source "A"
Clay Pickering
Shawn Pickering
Robert Morningstar

Morningstar stopped making any kind of public statements about the case after the first few months. I suspect that if nothing else he tended to make a lot of "off message" assertions that contradicted some of the things Clay and Shawn were stating. I assume he is no longer actively involved.

Note that I would not position Michael Salla in the 'inner ring' of this story. Instead we have an 'outer ring' of Ufologists who have picked up on this story, and met up with Source A:

Robert VanDerClock
Michael Salla
Bruce Maccabee

Salla was engaged at the beginning, and linked the case with his existing Exopolitics framework. However, the pattern of communications strongly suggests that he is on the "outside" of the group, and is not likely to have been involved in the origin of the story.

Maccabee and VanDerClock have only engaged to the extent of verifying that "A" is a real person and active in the service.

So what can we say about the story to date? Very little.

* Source A is quite likely a real person, and a real Navy officer as Clay and Shawn have claimed; certainly Maccabee found no issue with his general credentials when he apparently visited him at a Navy facility.

* The identity of A says nothing one way or the other about the story, but it does at least mean that Clay and Shawn may very well be acting as honest brokers. I consider this the likeliest case, as "A" has had plenty of opportunity to correct any misrepresentation through contacts with other researchers.

* No evidence has been presented that either confirms the alleged UN meeting, or enables it to be checked out and possibly discredited. Robert Morningstar, perhaps unintentionally, alluded to this as a strength of the "A" story versus that of Lorant. If nothing else the attention to detail in ensuring the story cannot be validated has been consistent throughout. The careful lack of comment on the Lorant case is just one example (and where Morningstar drifted from the script).

* The additional "TDY" story despite its rather bonkers SF elements is no more or less verifiable than the original meetings. I.e., not at all.

So, ultimately the question is why a Navy officer is making these outlandish claims, and what ought one do about it? Dan Smith already lodged an enquiry/complaint with the Navy. What else? Certainly the effort needed to verify any aspect of the case is quite considerable and beyond the resources of any armchair UFO researcher.
Too Dangerous For Open Minds Forum!
suspicioso
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:45 pm

[Mod Edit: topic split]

simonespeaks wrote:I LOOK FORWARD to more 'disclosure' on the ufological psyops group who have been pushing the "spaceships are here" propaganda. Did you see on the Discovery Channel (one of their ufo programs) how they showed the CIA admitting to that, to protect their black aeronautical projects.

Hi Simone, yes it’s true the CIA admitted to that in the past. For example…

CIA's Role in the Study of UFOs, 1947-90

[be aware the above link is to a CIA web site] :)

The early U-2s were silver (they were later painted black) and reflected the rays from the sun, especially at sunrise and sunset. They often appeared as fiery objects to observers below. Air Force BLUE BOOK investigators aware of the secret U-2 flights tried to explain away such sightings by linking them to natural phenomena such as ice crystals and temperature inversions. By checking with the Agency's U-2 Project Staff in Washington, BLUE BOOK investigators were able to attribute many UFO sightings to U-2 flights. They were careful, however, not to reveal the true cause of the sighting to the public.

According to later estimates from CIA officials who worked on the U-2 project and the OXCART (SR-71, or Blackbird) project, over half of all UFO reports from the late 1950s through the 1960s were accounted for by manned reconnaissance flights (namely the U-2) over the United States. This led the Air Force to make misleading and deceptive statements to the public in order to allay public fears and to protect an extraordinarily sensitive national security project. While perhaps justified, this deception added fuel to the later conspiracy theories and the coverup controversy of the 1970s. The percentage of what the Air Force considered unexplained UFO sightings fell to 5.9 percent in 1955 and to 4 percent in 1956.

In case there’s any confusion what we’re talking about here is different though… in that’s it’s strictly an UNOFFICIAL activity. We’re talking about a group of FORMER military and intelligence officials who’ve learned how easy is to deceive people using standard “psyop” (counterintelligence) techniques (like “disinformation”) and their presumed “insider” status for their own personal gain…

[note that in this case though the small amount of “truth” that’s makes their “disinformation” (stories) effective is “grounded” in myths like Roswell and MJ-12 which many already accept as true or possible]

There may also be some legitimate counterintelligence concerns (as in spying for foreign intelligence services) associated with these activities but I’m afraid that’s beyond the scope of this forum.

[note also that the above CIA study used Dr. Pandolfi and Dr. Green as sources]

ScaRZ wrote:Do you guys believe that the Pickering brothers (Clay and Shawn) are just being used to push the Source A offerings?

Agreed… I imagine it’s not easy to admit you’ve been had when you’ve been given the benefit of the doubt (“suspended disbelief”) and so much attention by so many. They may believe “Source A” is telling the truth or maybe they simply believe the ends (presumed “disclosure”) justifies the means… who knows?

[the “Spartacus” comments come to mind]

ScaRZ wrote:Do you see the Source A offerings as a different group,or could it be the same group as the Anons of Serpo?

Considering Bruce Maccabee hasn’t spoken out against it (he merely confirms he believes this person is active duty) I’d say it’s most likely the same group… protecting his own so to speak. At least that’s the way it appears…

ScaRZ wrote:These so called "Insiders",are they [True Insiders] or are they inside nothing at all?

There are many people in (or who were in) government (as in any segment of society) that can’t be believed (are deceptive)… or have beliefs that aren’t based in reality (have been deceived)… or are just plain “out there” (not well).

In general I would say NOBODY knows the “truth” about Aliens and UFOs so there’s no such thing as a “True Insider”… of course I say that as a “True Insider” so you should just take my word for it. :)

P.S. Excellent post as usual Suspicioso… you’ve been the voice of reason throughout this whole “UN” affair and your efforts are appreciated.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to UFOs