Clear Video of a Ghost - British Schoolboy

A spiritual perspective on phenomenon

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Clear Video of a Ghost - British Schoolboy

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:40 pm

Just this week, a british schoolboy captured a pretty impressive video on his camera phone of a ghost walking toward the banisters at his family's home. The sister had mentioned a previous night that someone had mysteriously finished her jigsaw puzzle overnight.

Video footage of ghost

News story from the SUN

We've seen recently, thanks to Steve's great writeup, how the Sun tends to do a poor job at times verifying (or not verifying rather) these stories. But I guess the footage speaks for itself. I haven't looked at it closely yet, just a few images - so can't speak to it's authenticity. As far as I can tell the witnesses seem credible, but again, I haven't learned much about them. The video itself is pretty interesting.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Re: Clear Video of a Ghost - British Schoolboy

Postby Zep Tepi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:55 pm

Hmm, that is certainly interesting...
However, you knew there would be a however, right? - the fact that most videos of this are linked back to a ghost hunting website via clickbank makes me very suspicious indeed.

The whole thing doesn't seem right to me though. The way he moves the camera at the end, almost as if he is anticipating the movement of the "ghost" is just a little odd.

It would be easy enough to fake too considering the footage is of very poor quality, very easy to hide certain tell-tale signs of fakery.

I don't buy it. Wow, I bet that comes as a great surprise! ;)

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby ryguy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:53 pm

Yeah no surprise...haha.

I'm not really surprised it links back to a ghost hunting site, because it's the ghost hunting group that really set this story public, and I believe it's one of their cases. Most of these stories that hit the mainstream news are from ghost hunting groups - and a fair majority of these groups are made up of people who are *trying* to investigate the phenomenon in some manner. The only ones that irk me are the ones who use psychics to investigate...lol...

Anyway - the movement where the ghost is anticipated could come from the fact that that's exactly the case. Was there audio on the stream? Might the entity have been making noise before the sighting took place? Also - It would be pretty sick of these people to drag a kid into such a hoax. Not that it wouldn't be possible, it's just that from the description of the witnesses they don't come across as particularly motivated in that way. Except for the fact that her husband recently left her and she's been "having a hard time"....oops, there's motive. Okay nevermind then. No chance of convincing you now. :)

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Access Denied » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Hmm... I didn't listen to the audio (too easy to play act) but just looking at the video I see what appears to be some light reflections off of something that gets moved in front of the camera just before the shadow ("ghost") appears which leads me to believe it was shot through a pane of glass or something, perhaps with a smudge on it? The effect seems more apparent in the video on the Sun web site than the one on AOL.

I don't know, hard to say without seeing the original unedited video... and even that might not be that good.

$0.02
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby MrPenny » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Could that be some sort of digital artifact created by the CCD in response to the very bright glare that precedes it?

I've seen and experienced some very bizarre "ghostly" events in the past, but that still doesn't keep me from looking for real world explanations. And, one must admit, a video camera in a cell phone isn't exactly high end equipment.
P.T. Barnum wouldn't stand a chance with this crowd.
MrPenny
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby Access Denied » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 pm

Dunno... the “optics” on those do leave a lot to be desired.

The thing that bothers me though is the camera appears to be relatively still at the moment when the "edge" of something bright or reflective appears to be moving into the frame at a higher angular rate on the right side of the frame opposite the “ghost”.

That might be attributable to the light moving relative to the camera I suppose.

At any rate, it may be interesting to note that part of the video is not included in the replay or slow motion clip.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Google

Return to Spirituality and the Paranormal