Boshkung Lake Invasion

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Boshkung Lake Invasion

Postby longhaircowboy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:06 pm

While doing some digging in the Library and Archives Canada I've come across some interesting things. One lead has led me to a relatively unknown episode that occured from 1973-1975 in and around an area near Ontario known as Boshkung Lake. So far the best reference I've found is Curt Sutherlys Ufo Mysteries. There's a chapter called Boshkung Lake Invasion which can be found at http://books.google.com/books?id=uVL7BC ... t#PPA57,M1
He chronicles some of the witness accounts. It seems that most describe the object as resembling a helicopter without a tail. I have also found a reference to it in UFOs Over Canada by John Colombo found here http://books.google.com/books?id=RXKPOL ... #PPA123,M1
There is one really interesting account by a Robert Sufferin wherein he describes an encounter with one of the ships occupants. He says "it appeared short and had very broad shoulders" and describes its movement as apelike. It wore a one piece silver suit and on its head was a globe with no visible faceplate.
I still looking for more on this nearly two year period of sightings. One witness said she had seen the objects on a regular basis almost every night.
If anyone knows of any other sources I'd be interested to know.
Save a horse, ride a cowboy.

Memory...is an internal rumor.
George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Re: Boshkung Lake Invasion

Postby Access Denied » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 am

Bizarre.

Found this with some more references if you haven’t seen it...

1974: BLACK HELICOPTERS OVER ONTARIO
http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/v10/rnd1013.shtml

[emphais mine]

"There were two sightings of a UFO in early January (1974) near Snow Road Station, Ontario. One witness, whose account was filed with the Meteor Centre, described it as looking like the bottom portion of a hovercraft with two rotors on the top. And the other witness I located feels convinced it was a helicopter travelling away from her as she couldn't see the tail of it...Both witnesses stated that the craft was moving eastward."

These sightings soon drew the attention of local newspapers, in particular, the Lindsay Post. "Later, in early March (1974), a series of sightings of a weird aerial artifact occurred near the Lake Boshkung area. They were said to have four large wings with an overall wingspan of 20 feet (6 meters), dark in colour, and with lights that appear to change colour."

"'They were monstrous planes, black in colour and shaped like a pollywog,' according to" one witness, Ms. Lunham, who "said that they were noiseless, with one exception--when one of them appeared to have some difficulty taking off and gave off a thump-thump noise. It is her belief that they are not from outer space but (are) some experimental craft being tested by the U.S. and Canadian military."

"And in her concern, she has written to the (Canadian) Minister of National Defence without receiving a response."

"An effort to photograph the lights was made by (reporter) Peter Courtney of the Minden Progress, but the lights were too dull and moved too fast for any good photographs."

"One description of the UFO was that: 'It looked like a helicopter with the tail off.' Markings of a landing behind the Lunham residence made several weeks earlier were examined; and though they were fairly old, they were made up of a V-shaped marking with two pad-like markings at right angles to it."

"Two further sightings were made by a Jerry Gavreau, to the south of Lindsay. 'The first...was made when he noticed that what he had first taken to be helicopters were 'tail-less' while watching them through binoculars; and the second was made near Orono when a cigar-shaped object passed before him at low level."

Maybe a stretch but a quick search turned up this...

ImageImage

Canadair CL-84 "Dynavert"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-84

The Canadair CL-84 was a V/STOL turbine tilt-wing monoplane designed and manufactured by Canadair between 1964 and 1972. Only four of these experimental aircraft were built with three entering flight testing. Two of the CL-84s crashed due to mechanical failures, but no loss of life occurred as a result of these accidents. Despite the fact that the CL-84 was very successful in the experimental and operational trials carried out between 1972 and 1974, no production contracts resulted.

I wonder if there are any bases or airports nearby? If not, that might be one way to rule that out…
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks AD. I hadn't seen that link but Lunham was mentioned in Sutherlys book. I like the idea of the V/STOL. I think I will check into that. I am trying to get info on bases/airports in the now. I'm doing a whole report on the case for the UFO Hunter web site.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:52 pm

longhaircowboy wrote:I am trying to get info on bases/airports in the now. I'm doing a whole report on the case for the UFO Hunter web site.

Let us know if/when your report gets published and we'll link to it in here and as an update on the RU blog...should be an interesting report, I'm looking forward to it.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby longhaircowboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks Ry. I'm still in the preliminary stages but you may find this interesting....at the time of the sightings there was a base nearby called CFB Downsview. Home to the 400 Tactical Helicopter and 411 Tactical Helicopter and the base was later home to Bombardier Corp. the eventual successor to De Havilland and the owners of the Learjet co. Hows that for irony? Hey maybe John could provide some answers. So far no V/STOL though. Still researching the various bases and airports that are in the area.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

RU Member UFO Report: The Boshkung Lake Invasion

Postby ryguy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm honored to present a long overdue update (my fault!) from our own member, Longhaircowboy. The following is the current top feature story on our main site/blog.

The Boshkung Lake Invasion

A very thorough review and analysis by our very own Longhaircowboy. Nice work!

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Re: RU Member UFO Report: The Boshkung Lake Invasion

Postby longhaircowboy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks Ryan and bang up job making my update look good. Thanks.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Access Denied » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:50 am

Well done LHC. Kudos for taking on a case from another country… like you say, I can see how it can be a challenge without the resources you’re familiar with, not knowing how their government is organized and who to talk to etc.

Too bad you weren't really able to find anything conclusive but it sounds like you were probably on the right track... who knows, maybe somebody else will find the work you've done helpful.
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby longhaircowboy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks AD. Probably the most frustrating part was waiting for responses to my quieries. I used email and phone.
When I investigate sightings here in the Tampa area I call the local airports and McDill Air Field and I can usually get a straight answer but those canucks like to lollygag. A couple of the bases that I called seemed quite surprised that a yank would be interested in something they consider done and over. The usual response after "the what invasion?" was I'm sorry we don't have that information. A request for the flight logs was met with a flat out no.
There are still some email inquiries that are unanswered so maybe something may turn up. If so I'll post it.

George Santayana
longhaircowboy
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to UFOs