Recent OMF Bannings in the UN thread

Any discussion related to OM goes here

Recent OMF Bannings in the UN thread

Postby murnut » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:55 pm

At the time when Averagejoe made his post and also the following post by Yex,

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index. ... 6&page=310

there was no rule in the OM ToS that made quoting a banned member a bannable offense. There was not even any mention of such a thing until garuda revised the Tos AFTER the bannings.

Garuda edited yex's post at 12:28 PM

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/ind...age=310#236139

Here is the newly revised ToS edited by garuda at 12:50 PM, almost twenty minutes later after yex's banning. See number 11 with the underlined text.

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/ind...ay&thread=5255

I suspected that these words were not just underlined, which is probably the excuse that would be given for the late edit, but that they were added only after the bannings to justify the bannings. My suspicions were correct. I found a cached page of the ToS from Jan 11, 2010. See that here and look at number 11. There is no offense listed about quoting a banned member from another forum.

Averagejoe and yex broke a rule that didn't even exist until after the fact.

OMF admins apparently make up the rules as they go along

I'm disgusted...I knew they were weasels from personal experience, but this really takes the cake.

If they are willing to do this, are they also willing to support hoaxes?

Manipulation, is manipulation after all.
"The Conformers are hard to read. They are rocks."
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Re: Recent OMF Bannings in the UN thread

Postby ryguy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Well, that's one easy way to ban someone you don't want around - pick something they've already done, create a rule against them, and then ban them and point out the rule...haha! That just makes my head spin. LOL

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby murnut » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:25 pm

What I do like is that they were caught red handed.

They can't deny this reality!

Pity...I wonder how they justify this?
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:57 pm

murnut wrote:My suspicions were correct. I found a cached page of the ToS from Jan 11, 2010. See that here and look at number 11. There is no offense listed about quoting a banned member from another forum.

Averagejoe and yex broke a rule that didn't even exist until after the fact.

Hi Mur, I'm wondering if anyone over there has pointed out the above? If not, why not? You've caught them with their pants down and it would be really good to see how the (b)admins react to it. If our own experience is anything to go by, the posts will either be edited or simply (re)moved.

I'm disgusted...I knew they were weasels from personal experience, but this really takes the cake.

Certain admins over there have been weasels from the very start. The only one of them with any kind of integrity left a long time ago.

If they are willing to do this, are they also willing to support hoaxes?

Hell yeah. That is something that has been obvious from the very start. When Ryan and I first presented them with the evidence showing Doty & Co's invovlement with Serpo, their instant and fervent defence/support of the scammers was extremely enlightening.

Good post Mur, say hi to Toon for me :)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby murnut » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 pm

12. Warnings and suspensions are not to be discussed on the forum.
Such matters shall remain private between the OM Staff and the member. Questions or comments concerning warnings and bans will be conveyed through e-mail or private messaging. Likewise, discussions regarding moderator actions are not permitted on the forum. If you have questions regarding a post or thread, please contact an administrator.

Members can't discuss this....it is a dictatorship over there.
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby suspicioso » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 pm

I'm curious as to what it was in this post that was so serious it needed not one but two bannings.

According to the posts afterwards its implied they were posting on behalf of Toon. Big deal.

So.. anyone know what was posted?
Too Dangerous For Open Minds Forum!
suspicioso
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby murnut » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 am

suspicioso wrote:I'm curious as to what it was in this post that was so serious it needed not one but two bannings.

According to the posts afterwards its implied they were posting on behalf of Toon. Big deal.

So.. anyone know what was posted?

Something from Toon

http://amkon.net/showpost.php?p=345647&postcount=687

That thread is sort of like the OM Latrine here
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:06 am

Ah, that explains it…

"I would ask all Amkoids who are still a members there to publish the above analysis on their forum in the interests of truth."

As if Toon didn’t know they would get banned. :roll:

Honestly Mur, I don’t know why you hang out with him… seems his only joy in life is manipulating others and bringing out the worst in people. You could do better for yourself…

But yeah, glad you can see what a sick cult OM is now… maybe one of these days you’ll thank us for warning you that’s what 99% of UFOlogy is about. :)

UFO religion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_religion
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby murnut » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:02 am

I had to learn the hard way I guess....but I have learned many lessons.

Toon is my friend...I take the good with the bad.

He is who he is and I'm okay with that.

Nobody is perfect.

He can be a real horse's ass at times...

He can be funny.

He is smart and knowledgeable on some subjects that interest me.

He told me in mid 2007 that OMF was a cult and I thought he was crazy insane.

He was correct in a sense that the leadership of OMF does behave exactly like a cult.

Many OMF members have thought me crazy when I tell them this.

But it is true
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby ryguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:56 pm

murnut wrote:Toon is my friend...I take the good with the bad.

He is who he is and I'm okay with that.

Yeah - actually, after swearing that I'd never add that a**hole to my Facebook friends list - a few months ago I got a request from him and I simply couldn't resist. The guy's abrasiveness is contagious and funny (so long as it's directed elsewhere...LOL). Sometimes he can be insensitive with the attempts to be politically-incorrect (sometimes it comes across as doing so just for the sake of doing so) - but other times he hits the nail on the head so hard that I can't help but try and ignore all of the other painfully insensitive comments.

He is smart and knowledgeable on some subjects that interest me.

Same here - although a little too confident at times that he has it *right* when he doesn't. Of course, we're all guilty of that from time to time I suppose.

He told me in mid 2007 that OMF was a cult and I thought he was crazy insane.

He was correct in a sense that the leadership of OMF does behave exactly like a cult.

Many OMF members have thought me crazy when I tell them this.

But it is true

Yes - people have a very distinct idea of what a cult is...but the reality is much harder to identify, especially when you've become entrenched into the group mentality. Here is the best definition I've ever seen to classify a group as a cult. Author Margot Adler used this criteria to identify the warning signs of neopagan cults - I've highlighted those points where I believe OM ranks very highly:

Score each item on a scale of 1 to 10 (or whatever is your favorite scale):

1. Internal control: the amount of internal political power exercised by leader(s) over members.
2. Wisdom claimed by leader(s): the amount of infallibility declared about decisions.
3. Wisdom credited to leader(s) by members; the amount of trust in decisions made by leader(s).
4. Dogma: the rigidity of reality concepts taught; the amount of doctrinal inflexibility.
5. Recruiting: the emphasis put on attracting new members; the amount of proselytizing.
6. Front groups: the number of subsidiary groups using names different from that of the main group.
7. Wealth: the amount of money and/or property desired or obtained; the degree of emphasis on members' donations.
8. Political power: the amount of external political influence desired or obtained.
9. Sexual manipulation of members by leader(s); the amount of control of sex lives of members.
10. Censorship: the amount of control over members' access to outside opinions on group: its doctrines: or its leader(s).
11. Dropout control: the intensity of efforts directed at preventing or returning dropouts.
12. Endorsement of violence when used by or for the group or its leader(s).
13. Paranoia: the amount of fear concerning real or imagined enemies: the perceived power of opponents.
14. Grimness: the amount of disapproval concerning jokes about the group, its doctrines, or its leader(s).

Considering about half of the points could legitimately describe the OM forum, I'd say it's definitely at least well on its way toward becoming another cult.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Tell me, does Ki... err, Greatwaller still post over there?

The simple fact of the matter is, OM was setup specifically to "reel 'em in", and reel 'em in they have. I find it amusing that some people think it is part of an official effort to either gather information about those who frequent ufology forums, or to spread disinformation. Neither is the case. In fact, it couldn't be further from the truth if it resided on Zeta Reticuli :?

Oh, people who also continue to believe Ron's invovlement is proof of official USG interest in the field, well, they will have a long time to wait before the truth of the matter finally dawns on them ;)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby murnut » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Greatwaller is a mod...yes it is true.

I haven't seen him post much lately

I think Ron enjoys the attention
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:41 pm

A mod? That doesn't even bear thinking about..!
I used to check in on the Dan threads over there, but I haven't in quite a few weeks. Sometimes it's nice not knowing everything that is going on.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby murnut » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 pm

I follow Dan's posts...however the latest drama involving Ron is quite bizarre. I don't see what Dan see's at all.

Dan should really not be posting that stuff..... it has nothing to do with disclosure or eschatology.
murnut
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Access Denied » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:07 am

But that’s the whole point…

What made you think Dan ever had an “inside track” on “disclosure” in the first place?

[other than Dan and Toon that is]
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Next

Google

Return to OM Flames