An Experimental Design for a Paranormal Phenomenon

A spiritual perspective on phenomenon

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: An Experimental Design for a Paranormal Phenomenon

Postby Chorlton » Mon May 24, 2010 7:42 am

The Item was a Mini Pumpkin. Orangey yellow in colour
Ry has the pic.
I have become that which I always despised and feared........Old !

My greatest wish, would be to own my own scrapyard.
Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby ryguy » Mon May 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Ugh.

"napkin"
"pumpkin"

Throw in noise or softly spoken words and it's conceivable she mis-heard. The similar "..pkin" part of the word really raised my eyebrows. I think we need another test - that one is too close for comfort.

Steve - you up for being the next guinea pig?

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon May 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Sure, let's give it a try. It can't hurt.....can it?! lol
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby fernergy » Mon May 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks, (Ryan, we were typing at the same time... lol)
I went back and re-listened to what I thought sounded like basket or napkin and now since I know the answer it's sounding like the word pumpkin very clearly so at least I know that they did answer the question correctly but this one did not come in strong enough for me to determine with certainty what was being said unless I knew what the target was. All I know now is that it's sounding like pumpkin now -- I thought I was hearing 'kin' at the end of what they said was the object hence why i said napkin..
So this is where the Project Manager comes in. She knows what the item is and if she heard this clip of mine she would rule it as saying pumpkin and in fact, that's what it sounds like now that I know the answer. That's how it is with Class C or B EVP, unless one knows what they are looking for in terms of the answer, in other words, if the person who is recording the EVP already knows what the answer is, it's much easier to identify if an EVP is saying that correct answer as opposed to when they do not know what the answer is.

So the good news for me is that they did in fact give the correct answer even though it was not a Class A EVP. Having not done an experiment like this before, I'm to find that they will in fact check out the home of a complete stranger in another part of the world to tell me what the target is. I was not sure before if they would do that. So I would like to do this experiment again because now I know that they can do it and give me the correct answer.

I would post that evp here that's saying ' the object is a pumpkin' but no one here has a trained ear in listening to EVP so I won't bother. Once again, the EVP recording itself is not important.. only that I'm hearing the correct answer in it... that is all that is important but too bad I could not discern the answer this time round unless I knew what the target was.

Let's try this demo again and I would not be asking to do that if I did not think that they can tell me what the target is for this type of demo. Right now I'm shooting for a Class A answer for the target answer.
fernergy

Postby fernergy » Mon May 24, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm ready to try this again and I will post that EVP that I got for this one just in case anyone is hearing the word pumpkin being said. Will post that here in a minute after I load it onto a webpage.
fernergy

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon May 24, 2010 2:17 pm

We can do it now if you want, though I'm at work so it would have to be in my office.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Mon May 24, 2010 2:22 pm

fernergy wrote:
So the good news for me is that they did in fact give the correct answer even though it was not a Class A EVP.

Good news?
Sorry, for me the sound of NAP and PUMP are totally and completely phonetically different
Others might give you the benefit of the doubt.
I wouldnt.
Fail.

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby fernergy » Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

http://www.itctechage.com/pumkin.htm

Above it the link of the EVP that I identified as saying the answer because it's saying "the object is a ...kin" ... now it IS sounding like the word 'pumpkin'.
As for me coming up with the word basket, well, because I was listening to that phrase over and over again it then began to sound like some other word entirely and that's the problem with Class C EVP clips.. So it really is best to go by what one is first hearing in such EVP like this.

I'm just glad they answered the question and I'm ready when you are for another demo.
fernergy

Postby fernergy » Mon May 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:We can do it now if you want, though I'm at work so it would have to be in my office.

Put an object on a table but make sure there's nothing else on that table. This will be in your office.
Tell me the country and state or region you are located in.
Take a webcam pic and send it to Ryan as an attachement.

Keep the object there undisturbed for today. Don't you or anyone else move it.
Tell me when you do all of the above and I'll start up a session right away.
fernergy

Postby fernergy » Mon May 24, 2010 2:48 pm

I have to run an errand now but will be back in 45 minutes.
fernergy

Postby ryguy » Mon May 24, 2010 3:12 pm

fernergy wrote:So this is where the Project Manager comes in. She knows what the item is and if she heard this clip of mine she would rule it as saying pumpkin and in fact, that's what it sounds like now that I know the answer.

True, and personally that's why I've always felt these experiments were not valid because the project manager would be looking for the answer in random noise. Unfortunately, the human mind tends to identify patterns within meaningless noise. Because of that, the project manager would be too biased, in knowing the answer, to perform a good analysis.

In my mind, the setup we have here works better. You know nothing about the answer, so you can't be biased. You're looking for a very clear answer - otherwise we can't label it a hit. While this may be difficult, it will also make the result, once we do get a clear "hit", much more impressive. As an unbiased third party, I can put the correct answer together with whatever clear words you've identified. This keeps the remote tasking person (in this case Steve) isolated from affecting the experiment, and it keeps the viewer/EVP "reader" honest and unbiased as well.

I think you're doing a great job here and I really appreciate your efforts. I've listened to EVPs before and I know how faint and difficult to discern many of them can be - so I can't hold misidentifying the word against you. The fact that you clearly heard the "pkin" part of the word enough to provide that within the answer is not enough to convince me there's an authentic phenomenon (yet), but it's enough to convince me that further testing is worthwhile. I hope folks following this test agree!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for Steve - waiting for the picture Steve!

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon May 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Well, the two desks in here already have a lot of equipment on them. A laptop and large LCD monitor on mine, along with a phone, blackberry, camera, desk fan, calendar, pens, calculator etc. etc. You get the picture (lol). The adjacent desk is no better, a laptop, smaller LCD screen, a router and piles more junk than on mine.
However, above my head is a shelf that stretches the length of the office. Directly above my head there is a black flatscreen monitor, with a larger version next to it up to my right. The space on the left and all the way to the wall is free - about 3ft of space I can use. That is quiet possibly the only space there is left in here...

I could use the meeting room next door, but there is no guarantee that any object I place on the table in there will remain longer than several minutes, let alone several hours.

I'm in East Yorkshire, England, UK.

I've placed the object on the shelf and emailed the picture to Ryan, let me know if that's ok.
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Mon May 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Plus all those HULL CITY FOR THE CUP Flags ? :D

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon May 24, 2010 3:36 pm

I should ban you for crimes against the Tiger Nation ;)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Chorlton » Mon May 24, 2010 3:43 pm

Zep Tepi wrote:I've placed the object on the shelf and emailed the picture to Ryan, let me know if that's ok.

Hope its not a rameKIN :lol:

Chorlton
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

PreviousNext

Google

Return to Spirituality and the Paranormal