Things that go bump in the night

A spiritual perspective on phenomenon

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:14 am

Not sure this is the right forum for this (and me an admin!) but I've posted an account on the blog of a rather strange experience in my life from 2008.

Have a look, and let me know what you think. I know I'm not insane, and I know it really happened as set out in the post. What it was is something I don't know the answer to, but there are a number of possibilities.

I didn't want to post it at the time for obvious reasons, those reasons still exist but I thought what the heck, you only live once...

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Re: Things that go bump in the night

Postby Ouroboros » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:22 am

Would it be logical to assume the phenomena was at least related to the wardrobe? Since apparently it started happening after it was brought into the home, and stopped after it was removed, that seems to indicate it was a factor of some kind.

Maybe the material was experiencing some kind of sympathetic resonance (is that what you were alluding to by "vibrations" in the blog post?)?

Hey, no one's brought up aliens yet. Maybe the wardrobe was a Grey in disguise? :P
Ouroboros

Postby Slippery Jim » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:37 am

Steve,

Isn't this the script for one of the Amityville Horror movies? An item of furniture (it may even have been a wardrobe - its been so long since I saw the movie in question that I can't remember - and I may even have the movie strand wrong too!) gets moved from the original house and the demonic entity goes with it?

If you're pulling our collective legs then shame on you!

If your video shows what truly happened then you are a big girl's blouse for legging it when you heard the crash. :lol:

And why did you run straight to your computer? No attempt to close the door behind you. No attempt to get out of the house. No attempt to check that your wife and children were okay!!!

Straight to the computer.

Hmmmmmm.....!

Edit: And why did you have every light turned on in the house but not in the room where you were originally filming? And why did you not reflexively turn the camera to the source of the noise?

Is this some sort of test to find out which members are more credulous than others? 8)
You couldn't find your own arse with two hands, a map and Google!
Slippery Jim
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Ouroboros » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:03 am

Okay, so I know this is off topic but...

Slippery Jim? You don't happen to live in Williamsburg Land and/or drive a massive dump truck, would you? Maybe own a dog named Cain?
Ouroboros

Postby Slippery Jim » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:22 am

Ouroboros wrote:Okay, so I know this is off topic but...

Slippery Jim? You don't happen to live in Williamsburg Land and/or drive a massive dump truck, would you? Maybe own a dog named Cain?

:shock:

No! I live in London, don't drive anything and would love to have a dog named anything. :D

Edit: p.s. My name isn't really Jim. That was taken from the Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison.
You couldn't find your own arse with two hands, a map and Google!
Slippery Jim
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby Ouroboros » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:42 am

Slippery Jim wrote:
Ouroboros wrote:Okay, so I know this is off topic but...

:shock:

No! I live in London, don't drive anything and would love to have a dog named anything. :D

Edit: p.s. My name isn't really Jim. That was taken from the Stainless Steel Rat books by Harry Harrison.

Cheers!

Thought maybe the name might've been inspired by the vulgar and wacky band Crotchduster. :P
Ouroboros

Postby ryguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Slippery Jim wrote:If your video shows what truly happened then you are a big girl's blouse for legging it when you heard the crash. :lol:

He was spooked - leading up to it, we were chatting online and the knocking started responding to his interactions during our chat. He said it would respond to him, and I said, "Do it now then, let's test it."

He said he didn't really want to because it was a bit freaky with all the lights off (other than in his back office). He agreed and started asking it to knock, and it did. He asked it to stop and it did. So then we agreed that getting it to predictably respond like that really needs to be recorded.

He wasn't thrilled about getting the video camera from the dark living room, but said he'd just sneak down and sneak back up with it. Apparently, once he retrieved it, he must have figured he'd start recording immediately as he walked back to the office.

It's easy to say you wouldn't get spooked until you're in a surreal situation like that where an inanimate object makes sounds and starts moving on its own. Sort of sets your sense of reality off-kilter I would think...

Anyway - he ran back to the computer because at that moment I was the only person awake at the moment (remember, this was really late at night for Steve) and waiting for him to get back with the camera...

When he got back, he told me what happened and I didn't believe him until he sent me the audio clip of what happened. After laughing at Steve's filthy mouth - I have to admit that the bang was amazingly loud considering that Steve wasn't anywhere near anything to kick or knock over.

I was actually the one trying to convince him the event was paranormal. At that point Steve was bending over backwards to explain it away using the cats or something else as a cause for the noises.

Weird stuff huh?

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby jeddyhi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:15 pm

All houses make noise. They settle, creak, groan and pop. Pure coincidence that you got noise upon requesting it. Any large fabric that is hanging can be moved or will show the effects of movement by the slightest of drafts. No wind required.

Was it a ghost? More than likely not. Is there a plausible earthly explanation? Probably so....but you may never know exactly what caused these things to happen.

Since it stopped when you guys got rid of the wardrobe, it would seem logical to blame the wardrobe. But I guess I'm just to sceptical to accept that.

I will add this.....a few years back on a bright summer day I returned home to an empty house (kids at school, wife at work, etc...) and went straight downstairs to the basement laundry room to remove clothes from the dryer. As I did that, directly above my head coming from what would be the kitchen, I heard ( and felt) what sounded to me to be at least a 200 lbs man heavy stepping across the kitchen towards the basement door. Loud heavy footsteps as if done purposely to let their presence be known. If it was a burglar, he didn't read the chapter on tiptoeing for stealthy entrance and exit. I dropped the laundry, felt my heart rate double, got the adrenaline rush and rapidly advanced up the stairs towards the kitchen. Whoever it was I figured I would meet them head on as I had no place to retreat to and no access to a phone. I flew up the steps 3 at a time and pratically kicked the door open (thinking I could take whoever it was by some kind of surprise).....but, alas, there was no one. Not a thing out of place, nothing taken, nothing out of the ordinary. I retrieved my handgun and thoroughly searched the entire house from top to bottom, checking closets, under beds, behind doors. I was completely convinced someone walked through my kitchen right above my head. I still to this day have no logical explanation and until now, had put the event out of my mind and wrote it off as old house noises......now I wonder.

Thanks for the spooky story, Steve!
jeddyhi
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Ouroboros wrote:Would it be logical to assume the phenomena was at least related to the wardrobe? Since apparently it started happening after it was brought into the home, and stopped after it was removed, that seems to indicate it was a factor of some kind.

Maybe the material was experiencing some kind of sympathetic resonance (is that what you were alluding to by "vibrations" in the blog post?)?

Whatever it was seemed to have some kind of connection, being that it stopped when the wardrobe was removed. I've not heard of the term sympathetic resonance before though I can guess at what it means. I wasn't alluding to that btw, just that it was extremely bizarre!

Slippery Jim wrote:Steve,

Isn't this the script for one of the Amityville Horror movies? An item of furniture (it may even have been a wardrobe - its been so long since I saw the movie in question that I can't remember - and I may even have the movie strand wrong too!) gets moved from the original house and the demonic entity goes with it?

Without checking I don't know, but I doubt it would be exclusive to that film or any other to be honest. So-called haunted objects are just as common as haunted houses, as far as I'm aware.

If you're pulling our collective legs then shame on you!

I'm not pulling anyone's legs, least of all a collection of some of the best sceptics on the net! I'm sure you can imagine the dilemma I faced in publishing this article.

If your video shows what truly happened then you are a big girl's blouse for legging it when you heard the crash. :lol:

Absolutey no doubt whatsoever about that! In my defence I can only say I was seriously not expecting something that loud, going by what had gone on before.

And why did you run straight to your computer? No attempt to close the door behind you. No attempt to get out of the house. No attempt to check that your wife and children were okay!!!

When I first started running out of the room, I didn't know where I was going. There was no method to it, I just ran up the stairs and ended up where I'd started.

The living room door is always open and why would I run out of the house anyway? Sure I was taken aback, but not enough to leave the house! I did look in on the kids just a couple of minutes after I got back upstairs.

Edit: And why did you have every light turned on in the house but not in the room where you were originally filming? And why did you not reflexively turn the camera to the source of the noise?

Hmm, the downstairs hallway, upstairs landing and my room had lights on, the living room (2), kitchen, bathroom and both bedrooms didn't. Hardly every light in the house on lol. The living room wasn't that dark and I hadn't planned on filming there anyway.

As for not turning my camera in the direction of the noise, I did, briefly. I looked too, for all of a nanosecond ;)

Is this some sort of test to find out which members are more credulous than others? 8)

Not at all mate, I already know how good the vast majority of the RU membership are :)
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Zep Tepi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:39 pm

jeddyhi wrote:All houses make noise. They settle, creak, groan and pop. Pure coincidence that you got noise upon requesting it. Any large fabric that is hanging can be moved or will show the effects of movement by the slightest of drafts. No wind required.

Was it a ghost? More than likely not. Is there a plausible earthly explanation? Probably so....but you may never know exactly what caused these things to happen.

Since it stopped when you guys got rid of the wardrobe, it would seem logical to blame the wardrobe. But I guess I'm just to sceptical to accept that.

Good analysis Jed. I've come to accept I will probably never know what caused those things to happen. I know Kayleigh and her friend are absolutely convinced as to the origins, nothing I say will change that.

I still to this day have no logical explanation and until now, had put the event out of my mind and wrote it off as old house noises......now I wonder.

Thanks for the spooky story, Steve!

And thanks for yours too. Man, It's a good thing we don't have guns over here!

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Ouroboros » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 pm

Whatever it was seemed to have some kind of connection, being that it stopped when the wardrobe was removed. I've not heard of the term sympathetic resonance before though I can guess at what it means. I wasn't alluding to that btw, just that it was extremely bizarre!

I'm not scientifically familiar with it, I'm only familiar with sympathetic resonance because I'm a musician. Wiki definition is this:

"Sympathetic resonance is a harmonic phenomenon wherein a formerly passive string or vibratory body responds to external vibrations to which it has a harmonic likeness." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_resonance)

I experienced it in a practice room once. Whenever I played a "C" note through my amp the entire room would start vibrating and shaking. It was actually pretty awesome. :D
Ouroboros

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi Steve.

i have already posted this on the blog but it might be better here.

in addition to Ouroboros post you may be interested in this article from cracked.com :
http://www.cracked.com/article_18828_th ... tings.html

this may explain some things and maybe the crashing noise was a coincidence of something falling over that you didn't notice had moved, its happened to me on many occasion things falling in cupboards then i cant see whats changed.

also ill add a little story of my own.

i once moved into a house with my girlfriend of that time and we were decorating, the house needed a fair bit of work including some new doors upstairs which i had removed ready to put new ones on.

me and my girlfriend heard noises for a few days running which i could find no explanation for then one night we had been laid in bed all lights out and no door on our bedroom, suddenly we heard a noise from downstairs, we both sat up fast, my girlfriend said "what was that", i said "shhh", we then sat listening for a moment and heard what sounded like someone walking up the stairs, as the noise got louder and closer i jumped up, grabbed the nearest thing to use as a weapon and went to the bedroom doorway ....... nothing there, i then searched the whole house... nothing there,

next night we heard a similar noise but not as bad, i searched the house again and this time discoved that one of the bedroom double glazed window frames and hinges were damaged and air and wind were causing the noises around the house, i fixed it next day and no noises ever again.

so its amazing what small things can cause extremely deceptive noises especially at night when everything is silent!.

thanks

rich
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby RICH-ENGLAND » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:38 pm

just to add.

on the lighter side, i thought this article was rather relevant due to the rather unusual item involved ..

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/841974/ ... _evil.html

thanks

rich
Last edited by RICH-ENGLAND on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATS HAS TURNED INTO A "BALLOONATIC" ASYLUM
RICH-ENGLAND
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Heh, great link Rich. We should get the Disney wardrobe added as soon as ;)

As for Infrasound, at first I thought it was a wind up so I had to go to Wikipedia to check lol.
It's certainly an interesting theory, but that is something my cats should have picked up on when in the house. When they were in the house, the sounds never seemed to affect them.

In the video with the loud noise for example, one of the cats was asleep at the top of the stairs and only looked up when she saw me coming (you can see this in the video). Good job they're not employed as guard cats...

Cheers,
Steve
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Archer17 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:51 am

I'm skeptical that it was anything 'unnatural' Zep. I can't know what happened but if the shoe was on the other foot I think you'd be skeptical too.

I'd be more open to 'sympathetic resonance' or other explanations if I could be shown this kind of thing being duplicated under controlled conditions. Then I'd probably want to know why this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.
The plural of anecdote is not data.
Archer17

Next

Google

Return to Spirituality and the Paranormal