Your favorite UFO image/s?

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Your favorite UFO image/s?

Postby chrLz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 am

Evenin' all. I'm in the throes of writing an article (or at least something that pretends to be!) on Image Analysis, both in a general sense and as it relates to ufology. My intention is to wax lyrical about the topic, providing hints & tips and examples of many of the do's and don'ts, and a 'stepwise approach'. It will be covering things like the perils of post-processing and enlargement, recognising artefacts, spotting fakery, and will even touch shallowly on photogrammetry. (very shallowly...)

I'm at the stage where I need a few good candidate images - anything from historical favorites to recent postings. Hopefully the images will have a bit of a back story to make them interesting.

If anyone has any favorites or suggestions, or maybe an image that you don't think has yet been decently analysed, I'd love to hear about them. Also, if there is any particular area that you would like to see covered, feel free to make suggestions. At the moment I am teetering between one article or a few, so I'd love to hear your thoughts to help me get my act together, and to make it .. well.. useful.

Thanks in advance for all and any input.
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Re: Your favorite UFO image/s?

Postby ryguy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:16 pm

For historical photos, I highly recommend the national archives exhibits:
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/

And the national security archive:
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/

I love those sites! Digging through, you find some of the most impressive historic photos anywhere. I found a whole collection of civil war photos that were just jaw-dropping.

-Ryan
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby astrophotographer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:39 pm

If you read SUNlite recently, I noted that the "most impressive" UFO photographs being promoted by UFO proponents date back to the 50s and 60s. Anything recent has usually turned out to be a hoax or a photograph of something natural/manmade that looked like a UFO.

So if you are going to talk about UFO photographs, you probably should include the Trent, Trindade, Heflin (there is some controversy if this is a hoax or not), and maybe Ed Walters. All show actual "craft" and not blurry objects from a distance or lights at night. I also recall an image from the 60s out in the midwest that looked a lot like the tricolor "eye" from the movie "War of the worlds". I have seen that promoted as well.

EDIT: the last image I mentioned was photographed in 1965 from Tulsa Oklahoma:

http://www.ufocasebook.com/tulsaoklahoma1965large.jpg
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby mosfet » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Now if only Jaws could have been CGI, missed it by a few years.
mosfet
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby James Carlson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:37 pm

I've always thought this series of first contact shots was pretty sweet ...

kib2.jpg
kib2.jpg (90.47 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
kib4.jpg
kib4.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
kib3.jpg
kib3.jpg (90.18 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby elevenaugust » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi chrLz! Great idea, feel free to ask for any help, I will be glad to do so.

Anyway, late to the party but I was recently intrigued by this one:

Which was about the Wanaque NJ case in 1966.

Full paper from Lloyd Mallan here
IPACO, the new tool for photo and video analysis is on-line! www.ipaco.fr
elevenaugust

Postby nablator » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi,

I started the little project of re-analyzing the Lake Chauvet images, from good scans kindly provided by Alain Delmon who had access to the originals. Maybe with help I would go back to working on it, if anyone here is interested in uncovering this peculiar piece of reality...

On July 18th, 1952 around 6 p.m. a strange objet was photographed in the sky above lake Chauvet, France, by Mr André Frégnale. The original negatives were analyzed by astrophysicist (and ufologist), Pierre Guérin, "A Scientific Analysis of Four Photographs of a Flying Disk Near Lac Chauvet," Journal of Scientific Exploration, Vol. 8, No. 4, Article 1, 1994, pp. 447-469.

A series of four photographs of a disk-shaped object apparently flying in the sky was physically analyzed. Certain details led us to develop a mathematical model of the supposed trajectory. The model was validated by measurements on the photographs, which demonstrated that the disk was distant from the camera, flying along a straight and horizontal trajectory, and was not a fabrication.

http://www.scientificexploration.org/jo ... guerin.pdf

Yes, it's my favorite photographic case.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby chrLz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Thank you all, folks! I have now cemented my ideas a little, and might use one or two of these, along with some current 'fads'. I may get back to some of you later.
"To wear the mantle of Galileo, it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment. You must also be right." - Robert L. Park (..almost)
chrLz

Postby the|exx » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:25 am

elevenaugust wrote:Hi chrLz! Great idea, feel free to ask for any help, I will be glad to do so.

Anyway, late to the party but I was recently intrigued by this one:

Which was about the Wanaque NJ case in 1966.

Full paper from Lloyd Mallan here

The beams appear solid an opaque with no diffusion around the perimeters, either in the air or on the ground. This image looks very hokey indeedy!

IRM :!: :!: :!:
They're coming to take me away, Ha-Haaah!
- Dan Burisch
the|exx
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby LCARS24 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Not in the spirit of this thread, but instead of a tossed hubcap, let me post one that's hard to debunk, from a mapping mission of the National Geographic Institute of Costa Rica, taken automatically from a plane flying at 10,000 feet on September 4, 1971, above Lake Cote. Maybe smugglers have learned that drug-enforcement planes and helicopters won't mess with anything that looks like a flying saucer.

And, of course, there are plenty of images of UFO/alien postage stamps to be found on the Web.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
LCARS24
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby nablator » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:32 am

LCARS24 wrote:Not in the spirit of this thread, but instead of a tossed hubcap, let me post one that's hard to debunk,

Not so hard: shadows on the ground don't match the object's.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby LCARS24 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 am

Okay, well, I grabbed the long-winded analysis, referee comments, and reply to same from the Journal of Scientific Exploration and archived it here to avoid a possible future dead link:

http://lcars24.com/Cote-UFO.pdf

Also, this object was not on the previous or next photo, taken 20 seconds apart for mapping, nor was some blotch. icicle, etc.
LCARS24
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby chrLz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:45 am

LCARS24 wrote:Okay, well, I grabbed the long-winded analysis, referee comments, and reply to same from the Journal of Scientific Exploration and archived it here to avoid a possible future dead link:

http://lcars24.com/Cote-UFO.pdf

Also, this object was not on the previous or next photo, taken 20 seconds apart for mapping, nor was some blotch. icicle, etc.

Thanks for reminding me of this one, lcars24. I'm not sure if this analysis has been reviewed here, but it might be a good example for me to use. I was going to pick on one of Maccabee's classic 'evaluations', but this one is worthy of quite a few comments as well... (And it's from my favorite highly respected peer-reviewed source, the inimitable JSE!!! :lol: )

I know I shouldn't comment without giving all my reasons (yet), but if that anomaly was part of the original scene, well... I'm a turnip...
chrLz

Postby LCARS24 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:31 am

To paraphrase Crocodile Dunee, you're not a turnip; THIS is a turnip! They do tend to turn up, and if they smell funny, don't eat them (except on a need-to-know basis).

LCARS24
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby chrLz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:05 am

heheh! i like that one.. if you visit GE and zoom in on that area (ok, so I briefly had no life..), you can see that the two shapes look exactly like craters - but of course that's what the aliens want us to believe.

Indeed, if you look to the immediate right of that area (a little bit shows in your image), it is clear that an alien has hit the ground hard and his intestines/internal cabling are splattered all over the ground, in a twisted pattern that suggests quantum entanglement technology, imo...

'They' obviously haven't spotted this and removed the images and any referring videos.

.... so don't tell anyone else, ok?

(I hope I don't need a proviso here for any particularly gullible future visitors..)
chrLz

Next

Google

Return to UFOs