The Rendlesham Forest UFO case

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: The Rendlesham Forest UFO case

Postby Smersh » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:01 pm

From the Daily Telegrah article:

... At home on the base, the commander and his wife went outside to look for the lights after hearing about the sighting. Other senior officers on the base – and their wives – did the same. But despite it being a clear, cloudless night, they saw nothing suspicious.

Lt Col Halt filed a report of the incident to the Ministry of Defence some days later and has since go on to say the lights he saw were “extraterrestrial in origin” and accuse the US and UK security services of a cover-up. Col Conrad, who had gone home convinced he had seen nothing unusual, has remained silent.

Now he has provided a series of statements about the sightings to Dr David Clarke, a Sheffield Hallam University academic and the UFO adviser to the National Archives - which this week will release some Ministry of Defence files relating to the incident.

"We saw nothing that resembled Lt Col Halt's descriptions either in the sky or on the ground," Col Conrad said.

In a damning indictment of his former deputy, Col Conrad added: "We had people in position to validate Halt's narrative, but none of them could."

He said there was no "hard evidence" of anything suspicious ...

Do we know exactly when Col Conrad, his wife and the other senior officers and their wives went out to investigate? (I've been searching around the net but can't seem to find a timescale.)
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby astrophotographer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:24 am

This supposedly happened at the same time Halt was out on his little journey. Remember, Halt was at a party prior to him going out into the woods. Col. Conrad apparently was at this party and was following what was transpiring in the woods (Halt was communicating with the base). At least this is what Conrad told Dr. Clarke.

http://drdavidclarke.blogspot.com/p/rendlesham-files.html
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby Smersh » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks very much for the link astrophotographer and sorry I didn't find that myself when I searched. Re this extract:

... Contrast Halt’s recollections in 1991 with Conrad’s 2010 statement which continues:
“Lt Col Halt’s report of more lights both on the ground and in the sky brought quite a few people out of their houses at Woodbridge to see what was there. These people included myself, my wife, Lt Col Sawyer (the Director of Personnel), his wife, and several others listening to my radio and looking for the lights Halt was describing. Despite a sparkling, clear, cloudless, fogless night with a good field of view in all directions, we saw nothing that resembled Lt Col Halt’s descriptions either in the sky or on the ground. This episode ended in the early morning hours of [28 December 1980] ...

There is no mention of the Orford Ness lighthouse by Col Conrad. Wouldn't he and the other officers have seen that as well, if that was the cause of the lights reported by Halt and the others?
Pobody's nerfect
Smersh
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby James Carlson » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:55 pm

It's possible they didn't think the Orford Ness lighthouse "resembled Lt Col Halt’s descriptions". He doesn't say they saw no lights at all, only that they "saw nothing that resembled Lt Col Halt’s descriptions either in the sky or on the ground." Any misinterpretation or delusion would necessarily belong to Lt Col Halt alone. Not being very familiar with the case, I certainly couldn't judge the materials so absolutely, but in my experience, what one man has described to another cannot always be recognized so immediately if the description was a poor one from the start. For instance, if Lt Col Halt described a light that was in motion due to a misidentification caused by his own relative movements in the field, those looking for such an object might very well discount entirely the Orford Ness lighthouse, merely because it remains in one spot. This doesn't place the burden of doubt on those looking for something that "resembled Lt Col Halt’s descriptions", if his descriptions were not accurate enough for an observer to include the lighthouse in his or her "list of suspects". Look at it this way: a lady runs into a Baskin & Robbins Ice Cream Parlour and tells everyone that a short Mexican man just ran off with her purse. If someone having a banana split runs out and sees only an average sized black woman walking calmly on the other side of the street, he might discount her entirely, and continue looking elsewhere. But if the lady who had her purse snatched actually saw an average sized black woman, but the stress of the situation and the fact that she didn't get a very good look at her assailant gave her the impression that it was a short Mexican man, it's reasonable to assume that the guy who ordered the banana split would not have paid very much attention to the average sized black woman walking calmly on the other side of the street. It doesn't mean we should doubt the testimony of the guy who ordered the banana split, merely because he insists that he didn't see a short Mexican man. After all, he wasn't looking for an average sized black woman, so why would he mention her at all? In the same way, Conrad wasn't looking for a lighthouse. That doesn't mean, however, that the lighthouse wasn't there.
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Postby astrophotographer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Smersh wrote:Thanks very much for the link astrophotographer and sorry I didn't find that myself when I searched. Re this extract:

... Contrast Halt’s recollections in 1991 with Conrad’s 2010 statement which continues:
“Lt Col Halt’s report of more lights both on the ground and in the sky brought quite a few people out of their houses at Woodbridge to see what was there. These people included myself, my wife, Lt Col Sawyer (the Director of Personnel), his wife, and several others listening to my radio and looking for the lights Halt was describing. Despite a sparkling, clear, cloudless, fogless night with a good field of view in all directions, we saw nothing that resembled Lt Col Halt’s descriptions either in the sky or on the ground. This episode ended in the early morning hours of [28 December 1980] ...

There is no mention of the Orford Ness lighthouse by Col Conrad. Wouldn't he and the other officers have seen that as well, if that was the cause of the lights reported by Halt and the others?

The lighthouse wasn't visible on base except certain spots. However, it probably would not be visible from the housing complex on base. Just too many intervening buildings and such. Remember, Halt did not see what was probably the lighthouse until they reached the supposed "landing site" in the woods near the farmer's house.
astrophotographer
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Previous

Google

Return to UFOs