Ruwa Zimbabwe 1994

Hard to debunk

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Re: Ruwa Zimbabwe 1994

Postby Access Denied » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:26 am

Excellent research Nab! Probably the best I've seen on this case...

nablator wrote:Based on the available evidence I have the following mental image (admittedly biased towards the prosaic) of the main "craft". It has a metallic, highly reflective surface, a doorway on the side, a window in the front and a long "stick" at the top.

Interesting, I figured it was a helicopter from some of the children's statements as alluded to in these posts of mine at JREF...

[note I was initially thrown off on the timing of the interviews by the "UFO Evidence" article that was posted]

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ost5735580
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ost5736772

"They could also hear a whirring noise and see a bright white light, silverish light coming from the objects."

"When all this happened, a very strong wind passed over them."

I see you interpreted those two differently but does this not sound like the main rotor from the side?

"I saw this black stick, a very thin, long thing on top of the silver thing."

At least a helicopter could account for so many talking about a “landing”…

Granted many of the accounts are contradictory so hard to say.

Tom
Men go and come but Earth abides.
Access Denied
1 of the RU3

Postby nablator » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:55 am

Access Denied wrote:Excellent research Nab! Probably the best I've seen on this case...

Thank you AD!

I did read your posts on the JREF forum, while researching this case. I read everything that google could find.

Interesting, I figured it was a helicopter from some of the children's statements as alluded to in these posts of mine at JREF...

"They could also hear a whirring noise and see a bright white light, silverish light coming from the objects."

In the later video (the one with JM) one girl said it sounded like a flute, and in UFOAFRINEWS no. 12 a boy, Guy G., said that there was no noise at all. None of these sounds are similar to the flop-flops a helicopter makes on the ground. A "whirring sound", to me, could evoke a vehicle maneuvering slowly in rough terrain, then stopping for a while, when the "alien" was seen running around. One of the "aliens" could have climbed on the vehicle to dislodge a branch stuck in the TV antenna or whatever. Or he was just sitting there all the time, or there was no second alien at all on top of the "craft" and it was a branch as one of the kids said.

"When all this happened, a very strong wind passed over them."

... but nothing was reportedly seen in the sky by any of the witnesses at any time. I suppose that Cynthia Hind was desperately looking for anything remotely interesting in this case and grasping at straws. Notice how this sentence is not based on any direct quote from the children. If anyone said there was any wind at the time, she would have interpreted that as evidence of an invisible UFO passing over them, just like she made up inferred the "missing time element" at the end of the video of her first visit.

I see you interpreted those two differently but does this not sound like the main rotor from the side?

"I saw this black stick, a very thin, long thing on top of the silver thing."

Yes, it could. But a rolled awning on top of the trailer like the one in the picture could be it too.

At least a helicopter could account for so many talking about a “landing”…

A landing without any flying is not credible. Besides no one saw the cloud of dust and debris that a helicopter landing would inevitably create.

My idea is that the object (RV/trailer) was first seen just above the vegetation, bushes, small trees, following the power line (but not flying over it) on the path that is parallel to the power line, and behind it. There is a drawing seen in the video just before the one showing two wheels, that looks like the top part of the trailer over something darker. The lower part of the vehicle could easily have been hidden by bushes. Since the path is twice as far (200 m) as the trees near the third pole (100 m) from the playground, normal human beings and vehicles would have looked twice smaller than normal.

Bring me a shrubbery!... and I will create a UFO landing for you. :)
Last edited by nablator on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 am

m0r1arty wrote:And then Cynthia appears, and steamrolls any chance of truth from the story with her open deferential with the group and then singling out those most receptive to her hair brained ideas...

I agree very much with this. There was a great deal of selection of the witnesses and pictures. If 60 children all saw the "UFO", why were only twelve ever interrogated? We see seven in the fist video, even less in the second video. 40 drawings or more were done, and the "best" (meaning most saucer-like) were selected. Since we don't know who drew these pictures, we can't say whether the young witnesses who actually reported seeing something (and there wasn't more than a dozen it seems, we have their names in UFOAFRINEWS) made the ones that looked most saucer-like.

I bet the ones made by actual witnesses were the least saucer-like. The one made by Oriana is identified (her name is on top of it) and then we have one drawn on the black board by another girl (who was interrogated) of the alien (its eyes protruding beyond the face on both sides) standing beside the trailer-like UFO.

40 or 60 drawings ? Maybe. But how many drawn by 1. kids that actually saw something, and how many by 2. kids just drawing what they think the rumored UFO and alien might have looked like? Let's not assume that the few drawing that are displayed on countless websites were all done by the children who actually saw anything, noticed details, and could tell about them. The many shapes of the craft comes from this. Mixing drawings of type 1 with drawings of type 2 produces "amazing" (to the terminally gullible) results. Most of the drawings were of type 2, because most of the 60 children did not see anything.

In the second documentary, the typical "Strieber model" Grey, without hair, with slanted black eyes, white pupils (!) was drawn two months later... The other children did not notice any facial features in their earlier descriptions except big black eyes, which was later changed into the typical Grey description with small or non-existent nose and mouth. How likely is it that this type of drawing is of the second category? Very.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 pm

The investigators did not check whether:
- anyone reported any unidentified flying object,
- perspective could have accounted for the small size of the objects and entities,
- there could be any other explanation than flying saucers and aliens.

They did not even try to limit the propagation of details of the story by questioning the children separately. Instead they asked leading questions, added their own biases and interpretations, created false memories.

All the worst practices in ufology. =D>
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby nablator » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:14 pm

m0r1arty wrote:Cynthia's account of the incident. which takes note of a reported incident on Wednesday 14th September of a 'UFO' seen in the sky as part of her opening summary to describe recent unexplained aerial phenomena.

Reading this again, the article that is pasted everywhere on the web does not match any article in UFOAFRINEWS that is supposedly the source (but isn't).

I suspect Cynthia Hind is not the source. She never mentions "three silver balls in the sky over the school" in UFOAFRINEWS. There is not a single article about the Ruwa case in 1994, because both issues 9 and 10 were published before September.

There is, however, a similar article by Cynthia Hind in MUFON UFO Journal no. 320 Dec. 1994 pp. 6-7.

Is this part a hoax? Or was it removed later, in UFOAFRINEWS, because it was a misunderstanding?

Someone else is credited here:
ISCNI*Flash thanks Sheldon Wernikoff for sending this story.

http://www.ufonet.it/archivio/ISCNI95.517.htm

There are several versions. This one is especially funny, it improves the story considerably:
From their vantage point they were able to make out that the light came from a large oval shaped object that was domed at the top and slightly rounded on the bottom.

It was supported by legs and from a central doorway, or hatch, more little people came out, and about a dozen figures could be seen going up and down a ladder ramp and were all dressed in what appeared to be silver colored suits or uniforms.

All moved up and down a ladder-like stairway.

These others were also slightly built and were wearing helmets or ski caps, and all were busy running around repairing the craft.

A strange pink cloud was reported.

Five children then saw another snow white flying saucer.

A shiny ladder was lowered from a hatchway and a man came down and sat on a rung of the ladder.

He shone a beam of light into the school.

The ladder and man were retracted and the object sped off.

http://searchwarp.com/swa557491-Aliens- ... ory-P7.htm

Nice embroidery.
nablator
On A Quest for Reality
On A Quest for Reality

Postby LCARS24 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:35 pm

Your trailer pic made me think of those concrete playground toys intentionally shaped like a flying saucer with large round holes that serve as windows and doors, where a crane started to lower one and the operator suddenly realized or was told it was the wrong school. Or maybe a septic tank, also wrong place, sudden retrieval and departure.

But when Randall Nickerson went there in 2008 to track down the kids for a follow-up film, he found that most of their families had left the country, because of strife there. While he was there, though, he heard that on the day of the 1994 incident Ruwa school buses all had nothing but static on their radios and that more than 100 kids at Pier House School, 25 miles from Ruwa, claimed to have seen a UFO apparently looking for a place to land.

The follow-up film still isn't done (shortage of money). Here's the latest on that effort:

http://johnemackinstitute.org/2008/01/e ... m-project/

Oh, and through that John E. Mack Institute Web site, even though Dr. Mack died in 2004, some of the Ruwa kids have been in touch and still stick to the story.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
LCARS24
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby m0r1arty » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:58 pm

LCARS24 wrote:While he was there, though, he heard that on the day of the 1994 incident Ruwa school buses all had nothing but static on their radios and that more than 100 kids at Pier House School, 25 miles from Ruwa, claimed to have seen a UFO apparently looking for a place to land.

He heard?? 100 kids claimed?? Citations please?

LCARS24 wrote:Oh, and through that John E. Mack Institute Web site, even though Dr. Mack died in 2004, some of the Ruwa kids have been in touch and still stick to the story.

Amazing though they haven't come forward to any of the many, many portals on the net which could verify this claim and probably give them some cash and fame for the privilege. I very much doubt any of the children who were there recall it much further than the day the BBC came visiting prior to Mugabe's men decapitating their neighbours whilst they fled for Europe during the night.

Why don't you read Greg Paris' pre-postproduction review of the new documovie and get some citable information about this 'incident' or at least the cash cow that's trying to grow from it. [url=http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=6379]Here is a link to local newspaper 'The Witness'[/url] documenting the trip made by Randall Nickerson whilst he was shooting the flick, the comments are the best - as you'd expect someone to have remembered something or at least suggested to someone who was there to post something.

I'll always be sceptical of this claim but until something 'evidential' shows up it will just be some children's stories and overly enthusiastic and under-professional gum-shoeing to me. More of a reflection of the distances those who need to believe will go rather than a proper study of an apparent claim.

-m0r
Thanks to BIAD for the avatar!
m0r1arty
Reality Is In Sight
Reality Is In Sight

Postby LCARS24 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:33 am

Okay, here's one link about the buses and other school. Just googling the name of that school and UFO brings up others. I don't know who copied from whom. The teachers probably told the director about those things after telling him the students had left the country.

http://ufomedia.blogspot.com/2010/05/bl ... ldren.html

The review mentions FOIA request for satellite data. Hm. There's a time limit on that. If you want FAA radar data after a sighting, it's about three weeks. I'm not sure of the exact figure. It was requested quickly in the Stephanville case and took six months to get.

And two years after that review, the film still isn't done, since the director has to do paying work, which this project isn't. And sure, some team should have been out there right away checking for physical traces, and doing as much scientific analysis as possible. But who ya gonna call? Who took charge while people were standing there gawking and some were talking pictures at O'Hare? Nobody. They were all busy gawking. That's to be expected.

But in Pueto Rico in 1980, there were hundreds of witnesses, and a couple of dozen called the cops, resulting in ten police polaroids (but, of course, no radar or satellite data--these guys are not MUFON bloodhounds):

http://www.ufoevidence.org/photographs/ ... oto391.htm
The beatings will continue until morale improves.
LCARS24
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Previous

Google

Return to Best Evidence