An Analysis of Folklore and its Evolving Nature

General UFO stories

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

An Analysis of Folklore and its Evolving Nature

Postby James Carlson » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:26 am

I didn't realize that Tim Hebert has been working on an additional article for his blog until just a few minutes ago that's entitled Interpersonal Transfer of Experiences: A Working Cognitive Theory for the Echo and Oscar Flights Folklore. It's an interesting work, I assure you.

Check it out on his blog at http://timhebert.blogspot.com/.

It's an illuminating analysis of the psychological genesis and evolution (didn't think I would ever be able to combine "genesis" and "evolution" in the same sentence, but there it is) of the word-of-mouth structuring as it has been applied to the creation of a mythological viewpoint. He manages to very astutely present a theory that helps us to explain the development of nothing into something -- the ephemeral into the legendary.

This is how folklore develops in a very real sense. While I'm not completely certain that it can be applied to the myths created by Hastings and Salas -- which I strongly believe has resulted from the very conscious dishonesty that both men have used to advance their claims -- it can very easily explain how the claims addressed by that initial dishonesty has been propogated since then. It also explains how and why this mere electrical incident was unable to hang on as myth until the works of Hastings and Salas gave it a new boost by ignoring the facts that originally killed it in the first place. The strategy worked for only reason: those most inclined to believe their claims have no desire to address those issues in the first place. They have their faith to rely on, and that's essentially all they need.

It's a fun read, and I recommend it heartily.
James Carlson
Clearly Discerns Reality
Clearly Discerns Reality

Re: An Analysis of Folklore and its Evolving Nature

Postby Tim Hebert » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:52 pm

Thanks James for the plug. The blog article was actually composed some months ago and since I had not added anything new I decided to post it. A different twist on things and admittedly I am interested in folklore because my Cajun culture is filled with it!
Tim Hebert
Focused on Reality
Focused on Reality

Google

Return to UFOs