Eyes in the mirror (Experiences)

A spiritual perspective on phenomenon

Moderators: ryguy, chrLz, Zep Tepi

Eyes in the mirror (Experiences)

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:24 am

The following experience happened to me when I was thirteen years old. It wasn't the first time something strange had happened to me, but it was definitely one of the scariest.

I had gone to the bathroom to get ready for bed, and once I had finished brushing my teeth I just stood there looking at my face in the mirror. I don't know why I did, but I was staring intently into my eyes and letting my mind go blank. After what seemed like an age, but was probably only seconds, everything in the mirror seemed to fade to white and all that was left was my eyes. I was staring really intently and I noticed a slight buzzing sound which appeared to be coming from behind my ear but it gradually increased and seemed to be all around me. The hairs were standing up on the back of my neck and I felt an enormous surge of power that seemed to course through my body. I don't know how long this lasted but all of a sudden the lightbulb in the bathroom faded almost to dark, then increased to a brilliant white light before settling back to normal. I know it might sound funny but as soon as the light dimmed, I instinctively ducked expecting I don't know what! I turned to look up at the light but the brightness momentarily hurt my eyes before it settled back to normal.

I didn't know what to think. I felt drained and confused and hurried out of the bathroom to my bedroom. As I lay there in bed I was convinced that an energy had surged through my body and that is what had made the bulb react the way it did. Even now, thinking back as I write this, I can almost sense that strange feeling and the hairs on the back of my neck are tingling!

I never tried staring into my eyes with that much intensity ever again, although I did come close a few times :wink:
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby Shawnna » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:51 pm

Wow, zep...... what a truly weird, and scary experience!

I'd leave mirrors alone if I were you! I've read some pretty weird stuff about mirrors.

Always,
Shawnna
"The only thing we found that makes the emptiness bearable is................... each other."

From the movie "Contact"

Shawnna's Reality
Shawnna
Uncovers Reality
Uncovers Reality

Postby Zep Tepi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:58 pm

I told that to Ryan once in chat and he actually has had a similar experience. I'll leave it to Ryan to tell his story.

It must be a boy thing :shock: LOL

Regards,
Zep
Zep Tepi
1 of the RU3

Postby dragonfire » Wed May 17, 2006 9:19 pm

You may be right about the boy thing, I think you may need to be young also.

More of an open mind, and not yet filled with all the realities of life yet :wink:

Maybe mirrors are the real world and we're the figment of someones imagination...now there's a thought. :lol:
dragonfire
Latrine Only

Re: Eyes in the mirror

Postby Teleon » Thu May 18, 2006 11:43 am

Zep Tepi wrote: After what seemed like an age, but was probably only seconds, everything in the mirror seemed to fade to white and all that was left was my eyes. I was staring really intently and I noticed a slight buzzing sound which appeared to be coming from behind my ear but it gradually increased and seemed to be all around me.

When I was 18 I went through a life threatening major brain operation. I was technically dead for 3 minutes. The surgery took about 13 or more hours. I was then in a coma for another day.

Anyway to relate this to your story, the day I woke up I can vividly recall a buzzing sound that seemed to be coming from behind my ears. It got louder and louder until it was almost unbearable. Then I opened my eyes; light was unbearable. I had to have all the blinds shut in my hospital room and the lights turned off. It was at least a few weeks before I could have light on around me.
bah um bug?
Teleon

Re: Eyes in the mirror (Experiences)

Postby boudicca » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:05 pm

for me eyes r the mirror to the soul (or psyche in freudian terms), they r the only living part of the body that can be seen (as apposed to the layer of dead cells around the body). i use the mirror as a very quick way of accessing my soul and as i believe that every soul is connected, and that by meditating on this one can communicate outside of ones physical self. i cant really explain it any better than this...so i hope it makes sence.
boudicca

Postby ryguy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:59 pm

That does make sense - thanks for the post. I remember, when I had my own experience, I was able to attribute it to an already diagnosed medical condition concerning my inner ear which set me off balance. That, in combination with lack of oxygen from a steam-filled bathroom created a physical condition where I nearly passed out, but didn't. In my case, while it felt surreal, there was a perfectly reasonable and logical physical explanation.

On the other hand, I agree with you regarding the benefits of meditating in the mirror - there is no better way to become attuned to your own self than looking yourself straight in the eyes during contemplation. The saying that eyes are the windows to the soul is very true.

-Ry
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby Jack'sDead » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:59 pm

They say you should never look in a mirror when you have ingested certain, um, substances of a highly mind altering nature.

Reading this I was reminded of a little incident I had, maybe about five years ago or so. I was in the kitchen, and stepped toward the stove. I was suddenly met with a feeling of weightlessness, or falling. The light around me elongated and blurred. I heard a sort of constant woosh in my ears, as if I were in a tunnel that air was flowing through. I could hear the normal sounds of the apartment too, echoing faintly, with a tinny ring, in this "tunnel." It all happened in a matter of seconds really. I stepped back, dizzied, and the effect was gone. My Mom speculated that it was some sort of "vortex" experience. No mirror there though.
...You can call me, Joker!
Jack'sDead
In Search of Reality
In Search of Reality

Postby ryguy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:43 am

Yeah - the medical name for it is Vertigo. Crazy feeling when the "balancing" mechanism in your ear goes haywire isn't it? I hope it never happens to me again - it was horrible.
---
"Only a fool of a scientist would dismiss the evidence and reports in front of him and substitute his own beliefs in their place." - Paul Kurtz

The RU Blog
Top Secret Writers
ryguy
1 of the RU3

Postby GigaShadow » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:30 am

Deleted by Author :cry:
GigaShadow

Google

Return to Spirituality and the Paranormal